eneg

Rear Headrests

Okay, picked up my 2011 hybrid last night.

Everything is fine so far, BUT, aren't you supposed to be able to see out of the back window?

The headrests are blocking too much of the view.

The car that we had test drove was a 2010 and I purposely checked that the rear window was not blocked.

And, it wasn't.

Anyway, to get to the nitty gritty:

Has anybody removed their headrests, and if you did, cold you please send along instructions?

I'm pretty sure that I could get the seat out, but I'm not sure that I want to play around back there near the battery.

Any and all help appreciated. . .

Eneg

There's a little button built into the side of one of the headrest mounting holes that you press to release and remove the headrest. I remove them when there are no rear sear occupants and put them on the floor. The headrests in the 2010 are also too low for comfort when fully extended. I wrapped some electrical tape around the shafts so they are about 2 inches farther up than the last notched position. A pain!

Hi lolder,

Thanks, but I'm lost.

I see the buttons that I think that you are referring to, but when fully extended, the headrests hit the roof of the car and I can't get them out.

What am I doing wrong?

Please be as specific as you can be because my head is spinnig with all of these new electronics! :)

Thanks again,

Eneg

The 2011 headrests may be different. They may have solved the problem. Can you just put them all the way down for the best visibility? Mine are OK that way. Mine would not go up far enough for comfort and still be in a detent.

Read the Owners Guide several times. Almost everything you need to know is in there. Most everything else is on this forum. Use the "Search" function. Sit in the drivers seat and explore the dash menu with the Owners Guide with you. Read everything in the menus on both sides of the dash. View the tutorial. Once is not usually enough. You have bought much more than a normal car. If you wish, you can make it a hobby. Or you can get in it, turn the key and go.

when fully extended, the headrests hit the roof of the car and I can't get them out.

LOL! Slight engineering slip-up! And I think I saw thw FFH rear seat backs don't fold down? Oops... Although I guess, how often do you really have to totally remove your headrests?

All the way down = no problem for me but I'm gonna try to remove mine in the next few days (weight savings, even better visibility)

Edited by rfruth

All the way down = no problem for me but I'm gonna try to remove mine in the next few days (weight savings, even better visibility)

They should be in place for rear seat passengers for whiplash protection. They don't weigh much.

When I first got my Fusion, I hated the auto-dimming mirror because it just was hardly dimming. Then one day I was the driver when some coworkers and I went out for lunch. I mentioned it, and one of the guys in the backseat pushes the center headrest all the way down and says to try that. Worked fine (pretty much) ever since...

"The rear seat will not move or fold...by design due to the high voltage batteries."

Actually, both sides of the rear seat can be folded down. There are small levers under the rear window decklid that can be accessed through the trunk (near the speakers) which release the entire seat back. This provides access to the high-voltage disconnect switch (not that you should ever need to use that).

Google "Ford Fusion Hybrid Emergency Response Guide" which has instructions and diagrams.

Holy cow! I'm glad I got the '10. I did some checking and it seems first the front headrest changes were mandated now they have to carry through to the rear. I'm sure the Gubment meant well. Seems you were supposed to put up the headrests on the '10 when people were back there. No one ever did so when there was a rear-ender any back seat passengers could suffer neck injuries. Now the lowest position meets the safety standard.

I haven't had an accident in over a dozen years, but I still would not let a passenger in the back seat without a headrest.

PS: Have you tried moving your mirror up? It is mounted on an arm with two ball joints. I actually keep my mirror up next to the roof of the car, then adjust the angle to see out the back properly. This makes the auto-dim work better and gives better visibility both out of the front window (no mirror in my front field of view) and back (the higher angle gives me a better angle to see what is behind with less obstruction)

Jon

Wow that is some difference, I can see why removal has to be considered an option.