Sign in to follow this  
Zoom

X Plan pricing vs. Price haggling on a 2011 Hybrid

Hi all,

Just found out that I'm eligible for X plan pricing.

I'm looking at ordering a 2011 Hybrid.

Do you always make out better with the X price?

Can you do further haggling after the X pricing?

Is the X price just a gimmick?

I understand the Hybrid might be different than the rest of the Fusion line regarding "deals".

What do you think?

Hi all,

Just found out that I'm eligible for X plan pricing.

I'm looking at ordering a 2011 Hybrid.

Do you always make out better with the X price?

Can you do further haggling after the X pricing?

Is the X price just a gimmick?

I understand the Hybrid might be different than the rest of the Fusion line regarding "deals".

What do you think?

X plan is almost always cheaper, although there are exceptions. If you go X plan there is NO haggling on anything other than add-ons and that's only if YOU want to haggle - the dealer can't force it on you. X plan is about $150 over invoice plus $75 doc fee. You are also guaranteed to get all incentives including unadvertised dealer cash. Without X plan you may not get dealer cash, you will probably pay more than $75 in doc fees and you may be hit with other hidden fees not allowed with X plan.

If you're willing to take something off the lot that may have been there awhile you *might* get a few hundred better than X plan, but it's rare. Just remember when comparing prices to get the "out the door" price with and without X plan to be safe. That will make sure they include any hidden fees. With X plan you pay the X plan price printed on the invoice (which they have to show you) plus tax, tag, title and $75 doc fee - not a penny more.

If you are a good at haggling, you might do a little better (maybe $200) than X-plan, or you might do a lot worse. Figure you might do better 10% of the time and worse 90% of the time. To me, the slight possibility of doing a little better isn't worth the risk of the probability of doing a lot worse. So I use the X-Plan, and avoid the haggling.

X-plan rules are pretty strict. It is a fixed price for the car and the dealer can't negotiate that price, and the dealer must give you a copy of the invoice showing the fixed X-plan price. You are still entitled to all incentives with X-Plan.

You are still entitled to all incentives with X-Plan.

Plus some that are only available to X plan buyers. e.g. on Mercurys last month they were offering $1500 - $2500 in dealer cash but no public rebates. This means the dealer could give you an extra $1500 - $2500 discount - or he could pocket the cash. With X plan that dealer cash becomes a factory rebate so you're guaranteed the $1500 - $2500 discount.

How can an X Plan customer be positive that we are getting any and all of those possible hidden incentives and rebates etc.?

Can we be sure the dealer isn't just pocketing them, and NOT telling the customer the "perks" exist?

Is there a way to check directly with Ford HQ?

Thanks all, for the response.

How can an X Plan customer be positive that we are getting any and all of those possible hidden incentives and rebates etc.?

Can we be sure the dealer isn't just pocketing them, and NOT telling the customer the "perks" exist?

Is there a way to check directly with Ford HQ?

Thanks all, for the response.

You can check the internal Ford website (for employee generated pins) or fordpartner.com for Ford Partner x plan users. It shows you the current incentives and special offers.

Also understand that each sale is checked by Ford A/Z/D/X plan headquarters to ensure the rules were followed. VINCENT tells the dealer which incentives you qualify for.

You can check the internal Ford website (for employee generated pins) or fordpartner.com for Ford Partner x plan users. It shows you the current incentives and special offers.

Also understand that each sale is checked by Ford A/Z/D/X plan headquarters to ensure the rules were followed. VINCENT tells the dealer which incentives you qualify for.

Hey thanks for that info!

It's good to know.

Just to add to what Allen said, any A/Z/D/X plan purchase submitted by the dealer that doesn't strictly conform with the parameters will be rejected at the source.

WOW, am I glad I found this forum and this post! I just test drove and priced the FFH and MKZH Monday, after reading about them while researching what my next new car/truck would be over the weekend. I was told there are no incentives on the hybrid models, and I confirmed that on the Ford website. I read about the X-plan Partner program, and using a website I found I learned I am eligible for the plan! Check the link below to see if you are eligible.

http://bigval.addr.com/commercial/x_plan.htm (This lists the companies eligible for the X-plan Partner price, I don't know how old it is, but it may get you on the right path)

Using my partner code obtained from my company I submitted for and received my PIN number good for 1 year. I built and priced a FFH like I had driven and priced from the dealer on Monday. I am guaranteed almost $1800.00 off MSRP because of the X-plan, but more importantly I found an additional $2000.00 incentive (or special finance terms) for the hybrid available only to X-plan purchases! The MKZH has a higher incentive ($2500.00). Now I have to decide if I want the 2012 model, or wait until after the 2013 is released. I doubt there will be any incentives on the 2013 at release, but I don't need a car desperately at this time and can wait.

There have been a few changes since the Oct 2010 post about the fees. The dealer can now add up to $100.00 for doc fees. There is also a $275.00 administration fee allowed which is not to be added to the X-plan price of the vehicle, but is a separate line item fee in addition to the $100.00 doc fee dealers are allowed to charge. So at the most, I would pay $375.00 but get any special X-plan incentives.

We bought a new 2012 FFH with 501A pkg here in Georgia recently on the X-plan. Cost netted out to be $150 over invoice plus tax, tag, & title.

I've bought many cars over the years and that seemes to be a reasonable price considering the FFH does not typically carry any discounts (it is considered a "niche" vehicle, only about 5% of Fusions are hybrid gas-electric). The discounts are based on regions, apparently TX may have something going right now that GA doesn't, but that's OK.

The car is fantastic. I am pleased at the torque this car has with only a 2.5 liter engine, and the car is super-quiet. We keep our cars/trucks on average 20 years (I'm not kidding) so I'll report back in 2032. Originally we were thinking the 3.0L V-6, but the smoothness of the Aisin Powersplit tranny won us over (and the suprising torque feels equal to the V-6).

By the way, on your X-plan list, why do some of them have a double star next to them? I have not seen this comprehensive list.

Edited by Shadetree

I don't have any idea about the double ** on that list. I found that list through another forum I belong to and just posted it here in case it could help anyone else.

After looking at the incentives again, I see that there is a disclaimer which I didn't see or notice before. The Hybrids are NOT eligible for any additional incentives at this time, so it would only be the X-Plan price. The Dallas Auto Show is starting March 21 and I plan on comparing the various hybrids. I also hope to see the 2013 Fusion and figure out if I want to wait or buy a 2012 model if I decide on the Ford.

I also hope to see the 2013 Fusion and figure out if I want to wait or buy a 2012 model if I decide on the Ford.

Google "2013 Ford Fusion" and you can see a ton of info. After looking at those pics we decided we wanted the 2012. Reasons:

1. The console is raised similar to the Taurus. I hate it when my knee bumps the console near the shifter. The console protrusions on the 2013 console aren't even functional; they will just get in the way.

2. The window line looks higher and probably has poorer visibility

3. Engine size reduced from 2.5 liter to 2.0 liter

4. HP reduced from 191 to 185 hp

5. I think it looks like a Hyandai Sonata (not my taste); the current Fusions look more like an American car in my opinion (your opinion may vary)

6. The emergency brake handle is moved to the floor and becomes a pedal. Footroom is reduced.

7. High voltage battery is Lithium-ion instead of nickel metal hydride. The NiMH is a mature proven technology. The Li-Ion has higher energy density. Li-ion is becoming common for pure electric, but you don't really need it for a gas-hybrid, the NiMH is sufficient.

the current Fusions look more like an American car

Got a big chuckle out of that statement, considering the car is built in Mexico! I know what you mean, though.

I was wondering about the decrease in engine size, but saw there is an increase in MPG's. Not sure how noticeable a loss of 6 HP would be felt.

Ha ha! that is ironic, but I was referring to the "lines"; it's really just a taste thing.

There is still something about the look of Hondas, Toyotas, etc that jumps out at me as "Japanese" (even though the Accord is just about as American as you can get and its bulit in Ohio).

What did they say about "the eye of the beholder"....

Just an observation on X Plan pricing. I'm eligible and can see that saves me $1700 over retail price for a FFH . However, I recently purchased a less expensive car (2011 Toyota Tacoma) for $1500 under dealer INVOICE price by using the Internet sales depts. of seven regionally accessible Toyota dealers. My point is not to be critical of the X Plan program, but rather tp point out that substantial savings is possible on a new car purchase without any special program. At two dealers, a very small portion of the total sales force was doing 40% of new car sales...so don't overlook that option.

Jack