Zack

Oil change intervals - endless topic

Yes thats the F150. I mean really, do you think the Fusion takes THAT much oil! :) Last I checked its just under 5 quarts, I have 6 sitting there. I let the dealer change the Hybrid oil, the truck was a $50 oil change if I let them do it.

We need an hour meter that shows how long the ICE ran, and base oil change intervals on that.

Methinks, you are overthinking it. Just follow the recommended change intervals in the manual based on your driving, and the engine will last as long as the car. The EV system does require maintenance based on time rather than miles. The cooling system needs to be flushed out every two years or so(haven't looked, basing on previous cars cooling cycles).

I have a habit of doing that. lol...

First coolant flush at 100,000 miles (160,000 km or 6 years) then every 50,000 miles (80,000 km or every 3 years). (Source: Owner's Manual, p. 434)

BTW...if it's solely based on mileage, then why would they recommend changing your oil every 3000 miles (5000 km) if you're going pretty much all stop-and-go traffic vs. 5000 miles (8000 km) if you do mostly highway?

So...I'd think that it DOES make a difference (as EV assist ought to put less of a load on the ICE than if it were ICE only). Just my thoughts...my $.02.

Constant speed vs load speeds. In City driving you put more load on the engine every time you accelerate. On the highway, the engine is under a much smaller load. When loaded more fuel is used, some of which is unburned (carbon)and blows past the rings, ending up in the oil. Same with towing, more load, even if on the highway, results in unburned fuel deposits in the oil.

The reasons for longer change intervals now is partially due to better filtration, and partially due to better additives in the oils that allow them to carry the deposits to the filter where they can get filtered out, and the additives also last much longer so the engine stays cleaner. The oil does 3 things, first and foremost, provides lubrication, second it acts as a cooler, and third holds deposits in suspension so they can be filtered out.

What kills oil, heat is the #1 killer, and with a managed cooling system like we have in cars now, thats no longer as critical as it used to be. Engines run cooler(gee ask ME how I know!), so the oil lasts longer. Heat turns oil to sludge, and that is the biggest killer of engines. It clogs drain holes, plugs up galleys, and gums up the works causing the engine to run hotter, causing even more sludge until eventually engine failure.

Dirt is the second thing that kills oil, so a good filter is a must. Third, oil does eventually wear out, not the actual oil itself, but the additives suspended in the oil. If you ever saw a Blackstone report, it lists the various additives in the oil and percentage of what it has left. It contains metals and minerals that protect metal parts, and other ingredients that attract deposits.

If you really want to get deep down and dirty about oil, I suggest sending 2 samples to Blackstone for analysis, one sample fresh unused oil that you put in, and one after 10K miles and then compare the results. It will show you exactly which components are used up, and how much contamination is in the oil.

EDIT: I think that I will do this on both my cars at the first oil change, or maybe when I get the new Fusion, pull some oil and send it in, then another sample at the first change. Too late on the Flex, so it will have to start with the first change.

Edited by acdii

Maybe it can be done with the scangaugeii? Should write them and see if it can record engine running hours,

Oil change interval on my F150 and Flex EB are both 10K miles. I used to go 9500 miles between changes on my F350 7.3 Powerstroke and could have gone 12K on it.

Easiest and best method to determine WHEN you should change the oil. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ Easy, simple, and good for record keeping. I used this when I drove the F350 since an oil change on that beast was well over $50 and that was back in 2003. Learned I could go 12K miles between oil changes, so I had a buffer zone as I usually ran 9500 between changes.

There is some good reading there too regarding TBN, which is what alpha is referring to in his post. After about 4-5 samples are done, you will have a very good idea on just when you should change out your oil. It also gives you a very good idea on what condition your engine is in, especially if you buy a used car and hove no idea of what kind of maintenance was performed on it, or how hard it was driven. One other thing it will tell you is how well your air filter is doing, high silicon levels can show how much dirt makes it past the air filter. This is especially useful for turbocharged applications as dirt making it past a filter(K&N are notorious for this) can "dust" a turbine and wear it down to nibs and make it useless. There are variations to consider though since Silicon can also be high from gasket materials in a new engine. It also tells you how well the engine is performing or if you have a potential problem. If fuel is detected it is an indication of a rich condition, leaking injector, etc. Too many particulates in a diesel is an indication of too much fuel being injected. It also detect water or antifreeze, both are bad things to have show up as you have a leak in one of the internal gaskets, or worse a crack.

Edited by acdii

Based on mileage on most cars, some have an actual device in the oil pan that measures something in the oil to determine its change interval. The one in the car is set to 10,000 miles and can be adjusted to other mile warnings. When it reaches about 10% it will fire off warnings on the dash, then when it hits 0, it says Change Oil Now.

They record your vehicle, so assume they have a database on different engine types. They do differentiate between gas and diesel on the analysis so they can perform the correct tests. Wont know until its done though. You can ask them on their web page, they do respond back fairly quickly too.