DANIELLEHE

diagnostics code P0022

My car has been making a funny noise for the past few weeks and on my way home this weekend my check engine light came on. I stopped at Advanced Auto Parts and they hooked up their handy little computer and told me it was code P0022 cam sensor actuator bank 2 over retarded and i needed to get home. Now i have no clue what that means and where i can get the part to fix it. Ive called autozone,pepboys and advanced auto and they all tell me something different. Im not even sure im asking for the right thing. SOMEONE HELP!!

Your car is a 2010 Hybrid? If so it's under warranty solet the dealer repair it for you. I know nothing about this code, but I hope driving it a "few weeks" hasn't damaged something.

No its a 2006 ford fusion, warranty is up

Posted in the wrong forum. Try again and you will get a bigger group of people to help you out.

Edited by DaveM

P0022 means there's a problem with the variable cam timing in bank 2, most likely a VCT solenoid, but it could be in the wiring harness. The CEL is telling you that your cam timing is out or range (excessively retarded) in that bank of cylinders. You obviously have the Duratec 3.0 engine. By definition, there are no "banks" of cylinders on an inline engine.

There's a TSB for this but it only applies to 2009-2010 3.0 engines.

Did you have any rough idle or stalling issues?

Lastly, why would you continue to drive a car making a "funny noise" from the engine?