Sign in to follow this  
Zack

Towing FFH

Hi there,

I am mad as hell. Left my beautiful FFH on plaza and tow truck took it away. Apart from paying 276 bucks to get it back when I got to the impound car was still hooked on the truck, nose down, rear end hoisted by lift bar.

They drove it like that for about 10-14 kilometers. Normally, car was in "P" and they took it away like that. Could they damage anything like that? My daughter drove it back and she said that she didn't feel anything. Should I take the car to Ford service?

Wow! Considering it's FWD, I would think they could have damaged something. Did you get pictures? Could be a case for small claims court. Hopefully they know what they're doing, but....?

Wow! Considering it's FWD, I would think they could have damaged something. Did you get pictures? Could be a case for small claims court. Hopefully they know what they're doing, but....?

That is how I found it when showed up to pick it up. I can't tell if they had it on dolly or something before I showed up.

I think there's just a pawl that a gear engages when in park, and that pawl would probably break in a case like this. If this were the case, the car would be able to roll while in park. Have you checked, or do you use the parking brake all the time, too?

Edited by xmech2k

They usually know the FWD cars and will dolly them. You need to check your car in Park, it is extremely dangerous to drive your car if your parking driveline lock is broken. Just pull up to a spot with a slight incline. Make sure there is nothing behind you. Put the car in park. Slowly let go of the brake. The car should roll an inch or two until the pawl engages then it will stop. If the car rolls more than a few inches press the brake then take it immediately to the dealership and have it fixed.

The emergency brake is a supplement to the parking lock but not a replacement.

Jon

I think there's just a pawl that a gear engages when in park, and that pawl would probably break in a case like this. If this were the case, the car would be able to roll while in park. Have you checked, or do you use the parking brake all the time, too?

I wasn't suggesting using the parking brake in place of 'Park'. I thought if he always uses the parking brake, he may not notice if there was a problem.