Sign in to follow this  
EGFP

2010 FFH or MMH?

The holdback is 3% - $900 on a $30K car. Pay the salesperson and that doesn't leave very much money for the dealership to pay the sales mgr, receptionist, prep guys, etc. Not to mention keeping the lights on.

Best Buy makes more on a $3K flat screen TV. And you want them to make even less money?

I'm sure you don't work for free - why do you expect the dealer to?

It's not my problem if they don't make much money. A little is better than 0. If they don't like it they don't have to sell me a car! The longer it sits the more they lose.

Dealers make most of their money on used cars, financing, warranties, service.

Obviously it's up to the dealer whether they accept your offer or not and if they want to lose money or take almost no profit then that's their decision.

I prefer to work with the dealer to get a fair price for both of us. It keeps them in business and maintains a good relationship. I've also been on the other side of the retail desk so I probably have more empathy for the dealer than others.

Some people just want the lowest possible cost they can possibly get and damn the consequences. If it means some unsuspecting idiot has to pay MSRP to make up for it then who cares? If the dealer ends up going out of business - who cares?

What really irritates me is this only happens with automobiles. You don't walk into Best Buy and offer them $100 over cost for a $3K TV, so why is it ok for a $30K car?

/RANT

The service customers from hades were frequently the hard negotiating (under invoice) type buyers.. No wonder some dealers show these customer's addresses as "One Way Street".

They bellered loudest when they were denied assistance for out of warranty repairs. (Wondered why nobody wanted to help them.) DUH

Obviously it's up to the dealer whether they accept your offer or not and if they want to lose money or take almost no profit then that's their decision.

I prefer to work with the dealer to get a fair price for both of us. It keeps them in business and maintains a good relationship. I've also been on the other side of the retail desk so I probably have more empathy for the dealer than others.

Some people just want the lowest possible cost they can possibly get and damn the consequences. If it means some unsuspecting idiot has to pay MSRP to make up for it then who cares? If the dealer ends up going out of business - who cares?

What really irritates me is this only happens with automobiles. You don't walk into Best Buy and offer them $100 over cost for a $3K TV, so why is it ok for a $30K car?

/RANT

Have you tried to go into Best Buy and offer them $100 over cost? Because you'd be surprised it works...

I have worked in retail for over 14 years and are still in retail. If someone made me an offer that I didn't like I would just say sorry, I can't and yes I get it all the time. If it's a old stock item I will sell it UNDER cost just to move it.

You all can continue to make up for us cheap azz's that pinch our pennies.

BTW, do you feel sorry for the dealers that charge $20k+ over sticker for ZR1, GTRs, 500KR etc...

If you take care of your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves.

<snipped>

If it means some unsuspecting idiot has to pay MSRP to make up for it then who cares?

<snipped>

LOL slightly OT but this thread reminded me of my friend's girlfriend a few years ago who walked into a Honda dealership and paid MSRP for a Civic. Apparently she didn't even try to negotiate a better deal. :finger: My brain nearly exploded.

When I bought my car, I got a very good deal (X-plan) and a fair trade-in value (at/near blue book). But it took some work on my part. The initial offers from multiple dealers were highly variable, and ranged from $800 to $2500 (blue book ~ $3K). After negotiating, I was able to get all of them up to $2500-3200. While I didn't accept the low-ball offers, the next customer who walked in may have, resulting in the dealer easily pocketing the extra $2K. In the end, I chose professionalism over the absolute best deal financially (the manager who offered me the best trade-in value decided to do so while eating a sandwich with his hands and never rising from his seated position).