deutschra

Is there an Altitude readout on GPS?

Does anyone know how to find the Altitude reading anywhere on the GSP display. I have looked in every corner of the display and cannot find it nor is it in the SYNC manual.

You hit the middle button on the top row, the one labeled "i", for information. Under the first screen "where am I", it is a little red number to the right below the city and state, giving feet above sea level. I wish it was bigger, because I like to monitor it as I drive. It gives a new dimension to driving.

Also on the same line to the left is the exact GPS longitude and latitude coordinates, something useful to emergency if you are ever in an accident. A helicopter could find you within feet with that information, even in the middle of a wilderness.

From what I have gathered. It was a change that they did on the fly to the new models/builds/jobs. I have a earlier build and mine does not have the altitude on it. However Oldschool did and his was a little newer than mine. If you find it it will be on the information tab under there. But I could be wrong on that to since I don't have it on mine. Oldschool were is it again?

Tazzboo :shift:

True, and if you want to get super geeky, the GPS satellite constelation is a sphere, and the earth is not a perfect sphere.

My portable Garmin GPS has a precision of +/- 4 meters. I believe this precision is in all 3 dimensions, obviously including altitude. I cant see why built in GPS's would not have the same precision.

Edited by twiggy144

My portable Garmin GPS has a precision of +/- 4 meters. I believe this precision is in all 3 dimensions, obviously including altitude. I cant see why built in GPS's would not have the same precision.

They should but many don't.

All GPS's have a horizontal position for +- 3 meters or so. But all have a vertical error of 'hundreds' of feet. We deal with this daily in the pilot world/military application...I'll see if I can dig up some info on that phenomenon.

Strange. The last couple of road trips when I was on a landmark or a scenic road with a sign stating the altitude, my GPS was almost dead on.

Many of the A-320 Airbus variants I fly are GPS equipped, but the data is never used to establish altitude. Rather, the signal is integrated with the triple inertial reference units and VOR navigation station distances to define aircraft position for navigation and terrain avoidance. Consequently, the aircraft can fly GPS instrument approaches in poor weather conditions to airports wholly lacking navigation facilities. The only method to determine GPS altitude is by accessing several "pages" deep into the flight management computer display. In doing so I've noticed it significantly differs from the barometric altimeters, which are extremely accurate. We can now fly above FL290 (29,000') with a mere 1000' vertical separation from other aircraft.

My FFH built in 5/2009 lacks the altitude display in the "information" window.

However, it can be accessed by the following: Ignition switch on, shifter in "park", press the 3 and 6 radio buttons simultaneously.

A speaker test-mode appears in the NAV display. Press the cancel button, and a complex test menu appears.

GPS is at the bottom of the first column. Press the GPS button to display the number of satellites observed, lat/long, and altitude!

Have fun playing with the other test features! BTW, it irritates me to no end mfgrs overlook these details in the manuals.

Edited by Scott A320