Sign in to follow this  
2010SE Monochrome

Rust Spot

Sounds like a classic case of rail dust, which is fairly common in new vehicles transported by train.

While it's considered environmental fallout and technically not covered by the B to B warranty, Ford should help you out here. From your warranty guide:

For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

bbf2530 is probably more well-versed on this than I am. Maybe he'll weigh in.

For the record, if there's no paint damage yet, the iron particles can be removed with a clay bar.

I'd contact the dealer first. Let them assess the damage to the paint, if any.

Let us know what happens.

I would find it hard to imagine any rust coming through the paint on a 2010 model. If the clay bar doesn't remove it, I would try a true polish or a mild rubbing compound. Good Luck.

The iron particles embedded in the paint soon start to rust when exposed to the weather. If left there, pitting can occur as the rust progresses.