Sign in to follow this  
pippin65

oil change DIY

Here's what I saved from awhile ago:

"If you have always done your own oil changes, the FFH is no different except for removing a couple access panels on the bottom of the engine.

There are 2 access panels on the bottom, one is marked "oil filter access" and the other "drain plug access" or something along those lines,

and you'll need a couple small sockets to remove those. Other than that, you need a 13mm socket for the drain plug, and a FL 910 Motorcraft filter.

Once done, you need 5 qts oil, I use 5W-20 synthetic and you will also find plenty of posts here about which type that other owners prefer.

If you don't mind taking 30 minutes of your time to change the oil, you will find no surprises on the FFH over other cars you've had."

Jacking instructions are in the trunk with the spare and in the manual. I let my dealer do the oil change and rotate the tires for the special they have every quarter for $29.99.

Dan

thanks, dan. are the access panel fasteners plastic?

No, hex head screws. Panels are clearly marked. The words are extruded onto the plastic cover. Very obvious when you get under there.

Dan

Is it exactly 5 quarts, or is it a little bit less or more? Truely, how much do you put in?

Be careful here. DO NOT, overfill the oil. The dealer did this to me twice, by following what the service manager was a directive from Ford to put in x amount of oil and NOT test the oil on the dip, presumably to save time, and the net result with it was overfilled about a 1/4 quart maybe. This translated to a near disaster for me a month or so ago: I was just starting a pass around a long truck that was making a right hand turn at an intersection. I could see the oncoming lane was plenty clear, and we were only going 10 mph around the turn, so I stepped on it to pass him and the engine flooded with oil, causing immediate loss of power, a huge cloud of smoke, and the service engine light to appear. Fortunately I was able to get back in in front of him before oncoming traffic approached. I now fill only to 3/4 of the way to the top of the dip stick full line to make sure this never happens again. It does not appear to have caused any permanent harm to the engine.

Noel

Edited by Noel

I find it hard to believe (but don't know for sure) that 1/4 quart would make that big of a difference, wonder how accurate the dip sticks are ?

I find it hard to believe (but don't know for sure) that 1/4 quart would make that big of a difference, wonder how accurate the dip sticks are ?

I too find it hard to believe an extra 1/2 pint of oil would cause any trouble. If the engine "flooded with oil" it should have hydrolocked and destroyed itself.

I too find it hard to believe an extra 1/2 pint of oil would cause any trouble. If the engine "flooded with oil" it should have hydrolocked and destroyed itself.

If it has crankcase ventilation into the intake manifold, crankshaft counterbalances hitting a high oil level would create a maelstrom of vapor that would cause the smoke.