PajamaGuy

2010 Fusion SEL 3.0L FWD - Transmission Slips

This car is driven mostly by my wife - 60 yr-old School Teacher. We received the PCM re-programming recall notice and had about 4,800 miles on the car. (We love it!) - We planned to have the recall work done when we took the car in for the 5,000 mi service. One day, my wife picked me up from work and said, "The transmission is shifting funny."

We switched seats and I drove. From about 5 mph, I used about 50-75% throttle and as the car upshifted from 1st to 2nd, it did feel like it slipped a bit. I slowed down to around 5 mph again, and mashed the gas pedal to the floor. When it upshifted from 1st to 2nd this time the slip was really noticable, then it thunked and went into 2nd. I called the dealer, and the next day took it in for service and for the recall reprogramming. (5,200 mi) I didn't do any "pedal-to-the-floor" accelerations, and the shifting did feel tighter.

2 days later, I took my wife to the airport. All expressway, 60-70 mph, and about 2 hours on the road. Exiting the last tollboth, in rush-hour traffic, I floored the gas to get up to merging speed. When the transmission started to shift from 1st to 2nd, it went into neutral (the transmission, not the selector), the engine raced, but there was NO power to the wheels. I backed off the gas and at some low RPM, the transmission caught and I was able to get moving. Yeah, I was scared. The "FAST" lane to my left was moving at about 75 MPH, and there were 3 "cash" lanes to my right - all merging into 2-lanes to go over a bridge.

Since I was only 5 miles from the dealer, I headed there (it was on my way, anyhow). When I exited the expressway, I again "floored it", and was rewarded with the same upshift to neutral, 7,000 rpm, and then two hard bangs in the transmission before I was able to get my foot off the gas.

Since then, I've found I can ALWAYS get it to start slipping with only 50% throttle if the transmission is up to temp, or if I do 1 or 2 sequences of slowing to 5 mph, then flooring it through 1st & 2nd.

As of now, the dealer is working with me and FORD to isolate the cause - so I won't go into that detail.

What I'd like to know is, "Is anyone else experiencing the problem?"

Thanks!

First off, I would like to thank you for the details of your experience, that makes it so much easier to understand. I have noticed that my tranny, will do that sometimes, but what actually happens is the shifter gets knocked over to M just enough, so the car goes into neutral, but it seems like that's not the problem here. To be honest, every dealer I have dealt with sucks, and is too lazy to do anything that required effort. I'm glad you got Ford involved with this, because they can push the dealer to do something. My guess, and I hate to say it, but you either have a bad program, as in your computer is shot, (unlikely) or the tranny is just bad. My old car used to do that, but it was because of the torque converter, and the more I pushed it, the worse it got. I understand you were trying to test it, and that's what you should do in a situation like this with a new car, there should be NO problems with it, that's what the warranty is for too. I experienced the tranny slamming into 2nd at low speeds in the cold, but all other gears were fine. When I got the tranny reprogrammed, ran like a dream. I still hate how it shifts sooooo slowly but that's just the design. Your best bet, get Ford involved, and a lawyer, as soon as Ford or your dealer hears "lawsuit" you'll have a new tranny next day.

Well,

Contrary to your experience - in this case it's the dealer having to push Ford. I should be hearing any day about what's going to be done - I'll add detail then.

PJ

Well,

Contrary to your experience - in this case it's the dealer having to push Ford. I should be hearing any day about what's going to be done - I'll add detail then.

PJ

I'm anticipating a happy ending! Authorized by FORD, the dealer is rebuilding my transmission, (case, clutches, pistons & valves). Yeah, I know - and my FIRST reaction was whoa...a 2010 with only 5,200 miles and they're rebuilding the tranny? Truth is - I don't care. It's a 36 month lease, otherwise I would care.

So long as the car performs and operates as it did, and is supposed to do, they can do whatever they want to fix it. The proof will be if the tranny is truely fixed...we'll see....

A happy ending - My dealer (A.C. Collins, Pasadena, TX) would not let FORD dismiss this one. They finally got someone with a sense of correctness to authorize rebuilding the transmission. (5,700 miles). They replaced a lot of parts, including 2 clutches, valves, pistons, and the case (the case was pitted where it should have been machined smooth???). It's feeling like brand new again.

The dealer supplied me with a 2010 Taurus the whole time (2+ weeks) - and called me every 2 days to report status. Even one of the dealership owners got involved to make sure I was a satisfied customer. Because it's a lease, I am. If I'd purchased, or planned to keep the car, there would be a different story - however I really believe the dealer would have exchanged the car.

I agree with Waldo - The Dealer shouldn't have to "push" Ford to do anything. It's obvious you had the problem outlined by the 10B15 customer satisfaction program and they should have immediately recognized it and done what they needed to in order to fix it. Maybe the dealer was giving you a bunch of BS to make it seem like they were really going to bat for you. If they actually had to "push" Ford, then Ford has learned nothing about taking care of their customers.

In theory, you guys are correct - however Ford was telling the dealer that at 5,000 miles, there was NO WAY the incorrect programming could have caused the valve to become damaged that soon. All of the Ford-directed tests and measurements indicated the valve was not faulty. And when they physically disconnected the wheel slippage sensors, the tranny acted perfect. I think both sides got hung up on my telling them I could induce the symptoms most rapidly by standing on the gas pedal through 2nd and 3rd gear, and the Ford guys thought "slippage" meant the wheels were spinning. When we got the 2nd tier engineers to understand it was the tranny that was slipping and the clutches were burned, they started rebuilding... - Whatever - it's fixed - it will again chirp the tires when it upshifts to 2nd, and it "feels" solid.

Well I got my car back and they said there was a loose bolt in the transfer case, which has obviously not fixed the problem. and yea it was never under heavy acceleration with the jerking. and I'm not trying to sound like a d bag but i tried the a/c thing, that was one of my first guesses. This week I will bring it back to the service department once more, this time I will be taking the service manager for a ride to show him. I think it's just a lazy dealer. it seems like your dealer, Pajama Guy I think, actually took the tranny apart and really tested it. Mine I think just took a few bolts out and looked and put it back together. I've had that stupid reprogram and load test 3 times. This time, I will be contacting Ford personally and we'll see what gets done. I love this car, I just want the damn thing fixed. We own 5 Fords, you think Ford would try to keep customers like us.

I accidentally duplicated the symptom - My transmission is fine and has been after they rebuilt it - but when I got the symptom, for a minute I was worried.

My tranny is the one with the 6-speed "SelectShift" and i was using manual to downshift as I came to a light. Some dork in a Charger gave me the eyeball so at the turn of green, I floored it. When it should have shifted to 2nd, it just went into neutral and the governor killed the RPMs. When that happened a few months ago, it was accompanied by a few hard clunks and if I reduced RPMs enough, it went to 2nd, etc. This time, it was my fault, I'd never moved the shifter to automatic!

I'm telling you'all this because it was EXACTLY the same symptom when my tranny WAS slipping and needed new clutches and a rebuild (at 5,200 mi). With the shifter in automatic, it shifts fine (now), but before the rebuild, even with the shifter in auto, it acted like it was in manual.

...and at the next light, I dusted the Charger...

...If anything I'll take it to a custom performance shop, they'll replace the torque converter and do a shift kit, otherwise, this piece of garbage tranny is just gonna last me till I can sell the car.

Good luck finding a tranny shop that can supply a torque converter and/or shift kit for this car. It's too new, too high-tech, and there are NO aftermarket parts available for it.