Sign in to follow this  
joeyc1960

Electronic coolant pump

Has anybody had a problem with Electronic cooling pump. It keeps the Hybrid battery cool.. I only have 5000 miles on my car and my dealer is ordering the part.. No car from Friday to Monday night..

The pump cools the EV components but not the HVB which has it's own fan. Did you get a message center warning, "High Motor Temperature"? See page 44 in Owners Guide.

No, The message was.. Turn off engine..CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM....Turned car off. Message was gone.. About 10 minutes later message would come on again..

This is a warning about the 12 vdc charging. The DC to DC converter that charges the 12 vdc from the HVB I believe is cooled by the pump.

As stated, the HVB is air-cooled and sits behind the rear seats. It draws air from inside the cabin. The two electric motors and the DC to DC converter are all under the hood in the self-contained unit that looks like a transmission. It is cooled by a separate water based cooling system (using the same radiator as the ICE coolant system). The ICE uses an engine driven pump and the electronic systems are cooled using an electric pump. According to the manual you should have gotten a temperature warning before the DC to DC converter shut down (giving you the charging system error) unless something pretty unusual happened. Maybe just enough coolant got through to keep it from tripping the heat sensor but still caused the converter to cut out.

Jon

The description I read is that the fan pulls air from the cabin to maintain the HVB temperature. The HVB likes temperatures similar to what people like, so it made sense to use cabin air to either cool (in summer) or heat (in winter) the battery.

That is the MOTOR cooling system water pump. It is the one we were talking about previously in this thread. It does not cool the battery, rather it runs coolant through MG1, MG2, and the voltage converter. The Escape hybrids run water to the battery but the Fusion does not. I have talked to a number of service writers who assume that the Fusion hybrid system and the Escape hybrid system are the same. They are not.

Jon

I just got the car back today..They replaced the Electric Motor Cooling System Water Pump..Part number 8c419...Its a small electric water pump that pumps coolent across hybid battery..It works with the cooling fan under the back seat.. I,ll have to check warranty book about the loaner car..