ethereal

'10 Hybrid--odd EV mode behavior

Mine does the same, white then green than back to white (wind chill) but even in winter I get closer to 40 MPG (its flat here and the term winter is relative) ((if less than a few miles I walk or bike))

Just to add, it's not necessarily the Internal Combustion Engine or the Hybrid System, but all the Environmental pieces that have to be warmed up ,mostly focusing on the Catalytic Convertor. This might explain why it turns white even if temp guage is low. Being in Canada, Winter driving is equivalent to 4cylinder gas engine, very little EV only mode. Long story short sounds like your car is running fine :D

Good Luck

ethereal,

Can you give us a general idea of the distance of your individual trips throughout the day and how long the car is off between trips?

I also have multiple commutes ... Every day I travel to anywhere from 2 to 6 workplaces and each trip can be all city, all hwy or mixed. The majority of my trips yield low 30s to low 40s mpg, with the very worst ~ 20 mpg and my best over 49 mpg. My combined long-term average is around 36 mpg @ 2700 miles. The worst numbers I get are with rush hour stop-and-go driving and short distances of only a few miles.

Btw I recently dropped the leaves display in favor of the 60 min histogram which I find to be much more informative albeit much less pretty. In the pic I have attached as one example (cold start, 12 mile trip over 30-35 minutes, city->highway->suburb), you can see I am getting relatively poor mileage for the first 10 minutes or so, then it gets much better.

I will have to switch to that, I always thought the leaves were hokey. I drive ~27 miles one way to work and have been getting 39.5 (winter) to 42 (summer). I have not paid much attention to the thermometer on the display, I will have to check it. I switched to a pure snow tire for the winter also. I also have a Prius, which the wife started taking as she drives on narrow streets, and prefer the histogram. If I had to give up one of the cars, it would be the Prius.

I will have to switch to that, I always thought the leaves were hokey. I drive ~27 miles one way to work and have been getting 39.5 (winter) to 42 (summer). I have not paid much attention to the thermometer on the display, I will have to check it. I switched to a pure snow tire for the winter also. I also have a Prius, which the wife started taking as she drives on narrow streets, and prefer the histogram. If I had to give up one of the cars, it would be the Prius.

After reading the comments on leaves vs histogram, I made the switch to the latter and my wife, who is the driver, loves it.

Edited by FFHdriver