Sign in to follow this  
deo1929

Making Progress on Milan Wheel Rework

I am making slow progress on the Milan wheels I bought from "DJE" (AKA "Desert Fusion") a couple of months ago. I have FINALLY stripped all 4 wheels of clear coat. There are a couple of spots on one wheel I have to go back and clean up. They look really good in a "raw" state.

I then took one wheel and polished the flat surface. It has taken about 3 hours using 4 different cutting and buffing compounds to finish it up. I posted a picture of the one completed wheel. I hope to spend some time polishing the others this weekend...maybe Sunday while listening to the Indy 500 (it's blacked out on TV in our area.)

Now I'm wondering if I want to take a chance on the clear coat. It will be difficult to spray in between the spokes of the wheels and I'm afraid that the coverage will not be uniform. I could do the one wheel and see what happens. I guess the worst that could happen is I'd have to strip it again :finger:

Eastwood sells a coating designed to protect aluminum from corrosion. It's expensive, but may be a better alternative than the clear coat. Another advantage is that if my wife (bless her heart) happens to scuff a wheel on a curb, I can buff it out and reapply the Eastwood coating. Otherwise, I'd have to strip the wheel again to buff out the marks.

Decisions...decisions....

Edited by deo1929