Sign in to follow this  
firebuff312

adding a port for a subwoofer

Hey everybody...I have a 2010 fusion se w/ 6 speaker audio and an aftermarket sub installed. I noticed that in between the cutouts for the 6x9's in the rear deck there is a 4 inch hole. My sub dosent sound too great with the seats closed up, so I figured I would put a port in this cut out to allow some extra sound to come into the passenger compartment. There is a layer of insulation, a piece of thin plywood, then carpeting on top. My question is what would be the eiasiest way to cut through these materials without destroying anything>>>??? Thanks in advance...

That layer of plywood is hardboard - the same stuff most wooden clipboards are made of. It is lightweight and rigid... I have always used a utility knife to cut through those materials. Scoring the wood and removing a bit at a time. Be careful not to stretch the carpeting on the top, or it will always be noticeable where you cut. That area will also be more prone to dust as you are now encouraging air flow.

Edited by danager

Thank you for that. By the way Im unsure about that last part. Im very familiar with car audio and I know if you have subs in ported/bandpass boxes they sound better with some sort of place to allow air movement between between the cabin and the trunk. That makes the difference between bass you can hear and bass you can feel.

"You can face the woofers in any direction or place them anywhere in the vehicle and the gain will be the same because it is only dependent on vehicle size. This is not to say that firing orientation or woofer placement will not have an effect on the subwoofer system output. It certainly does but this difference is not attributable to the cabin gain. CABIN GAIN DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE VEHICLE ONLY! I just wanted information on how to cut through the rear deck, not "information" that you think is correct but is not. I'am not building a bandpass box, nor do I need information on how to construct an audio system. Thank you for the attempted advice but It dosent sound like either of you know what heir talking about.

Fixed it for you. No need to use CAPS and "quotes", we can all get along.

Its not a Porche, I'm not worried about the "value" of the vehicle. I'm worried about some knockin bass. THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME HOW TO DO THAT THOUGH SITHIL.