Roccod

HD Radio option?

I would assume that the upgrade to HD radio is hardware (radio) dependent. What surprises me is the apparent lack of information concerning the availability of HD radio on Ford products. I would have hoped that some Ford representative monitoring (I hope they do), would have stepped in by now to answer the question.

Edited by Steve R.

The 2011 Fusion Order Guide shows that the HD radio will be included with and only available as part of the Nav system. This will be a free-standing option on the SEL, Sport, or Hybrid models. That pretty much rules out upgrades.

So other than clearer sound does HD radio have better range or something like that? I've heard about it for years but it doesn't seem to be really worth it...

So other than clearer sound does HD radio have better range or something like that? I've heard about it for years but it doesn't seem to be really worth it...

I took the plunge and had an after market HD radio installed in our Honda Odyssey. We live in a rural area. Frankly the HD radio sounds the same as our old radio. In more urban areas, it seems to sound better.

The range of the HD radio is actually less then regular FM. When you are out of HD radio range, the radio automatically switches to FM.

I guess the "big" benefit of having an HD radio is that it has a "line-in" and "USB" port. The USB port is really valuable, saves the CDs from getting destroyed/lost. In fact the CD is now obsolete!!!!

The "line-in" lets you use any MP3 player. Of course if you have an iPOD, the USB port works with it. I really hate it when manufactures (Apple) do these dirty tricks to consumers. The radio should have been designed so that ALL MP3 players would work with the USB port. There is no excuse for this despicable behavior.

Edited by Steve R.