Sign in to follow this  
fdeschenes

SYNC Services in Canada

Are you referring to the services on the NAV unit? Those may be satellite based, which means they aren't licensed in Canada.

I am betting it has to do with the service (cell network) in Canada. Yes we do have all those things you mentioned, yet Canada is an infant compared to the wireless services in the US. Also look at coverage, instead of a few dead spots, your car may not have service throughout entire provinces.

OK the service you are referring to is like for doing the maintenance record and turn by turn directions, that use an 800 number. Chances are Ford doesn't have a Canadian 800 number for the system, and the one in the programming only works for the US 800 number. 800 numbers are region based, meaning an 800 number from Mexico can't be dialed from the US, and a US one can't be dialed from Canada. I'll have to check some of our Canadian customers to see what their numbers are. I work for a Telco VOIP, we can send US numbers to other countries via the internet, but those numbers can only be reached in the US.

Now, why Ford doesn't have a 800 number for Sync services in Canada, and programmed in Canadian cars, that's a good question. As for tha satillites, sure youhave GPS, but Sirius is limited. Right from their site;

Real-time traffic monitoring available in select markets. Some features are unavailable while driving. SIRIUS Radio U.S. service only available in the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia