Sign in to follow this  
smr2112

High Voltage - Beware!

Saw a recent episode of MotorWeek that reviewed some basic myths/issues

about servicing a hybrid vehicle. Interesting and mostly stuff we probably all know.

But one caution showed you may want to invest in a set of these. Who the hell

knew you'd have to use such a thing to check your oil? Beware of those orange

cables...

http://bit.ly/cQJyp4

Pick your color ;-0

I'm being a bit facetious, but makes you think a bit...

Edited by smr2112

Saw a recent episode of MotorWeek that reviewed some basic myths/issues

about servicing a hybrid vehicle. Interesting and mostly stuff we probably all know.

But one caution showed you may want to invest in a set of these. Who the hell

knew you'd have to use such a thing to check your oil? Beware of those orange

cables...

http://bit.ly/cQJyp4

Pick your color ;-0

I'm being a bit facetious, but makes you think a bit...

What do you mean you have to use insulated gloves to check your oil? You're joking perhaps. Bad joke!

i know what facetious means and I didn't think this qualified. After I posted I wondered if he was talking about servicing the AC and it's lubricant which does have high voltage precautions but reasoned that's not what most people would think when "check you oil" is mentioned. I guess I'm overly sensitive about mis-characterizing hybrids. The title of the thread, "High voltage-beware" is going to attract "Google" hits and reading the first post is alarming. I'd like to see the link to the Motorweek if possible.

Edited by lolder

Yes, exactly. If you happen to see the Motorweek episode, Pat Goss clearly shows the

need for these gloves if you do any serious work under the hood and he was wearing

a pair. Just checking the oil, probably doesn't qualify - he wasn't that specific.

I am curious if the Ford/Toyota mechanics wear these, anybody know or ever see them?

There are so many types and colors, this must be more commonplace than we are aware

of.

Edited by smr2112

Read the service manual if you are going to service the car. The first thing you do is pull the HV cut-off in the trunk. Most mechanics wear gloves to protect their skin. If you need to run the car and jam your hands in the engine then you have much more to fear from the spinning parts than the HV. If you HAVE to work near the HV system live then you add HV insulated gloves. The manufactures have spent a ton of money making sure the system is well isolated and very hard to contact by accident. Many mechanics loose fingers and hands to cars each year. As far as I know there have been no hybrid electrocutions and the Prius has been around for a while now (did I see 100,000 sold in '09 alone?)

Jon

Yes, exactly. If you happen to see the Motorweek episode, Pat Goss clearly shows the

need for these gloves if you do any serious work under the hood and he was wearing

a pair. Just checking the oil, probably doesn't qualify - he wasn't that specific.

I am curious if the Ford/Toyota mechanics wear these, anybody know or ever see them?

There are so many types and colors, this must be more commonplace than we are aware

of.

Read the service manual if you are going to service the car. The first thing you do is pull the HV cut-off in the trunk. ....

I have yet to find that thing, along with the passenger fuse box, and the little red button. ;>) In spite of all the messages stating where these are.