Sign in to follow this  
firebuff312

Factory Speakers

Hey Guys...

I have a 2010 ford fusion se w/o the sony stereo system. I have noticed that the speakers do not put out enough clarity...especialy at high volumes. My question is is it worth amplifying the factory speakers? I dont know what kind of speakers they are but I feel like they have potential, but they are underpowered. One car audio salesman told me that i shouldnt even bother unless i buy a set of aftermarket speakers. (but I think thats because he wanted me to spend more money!!!) Other people tell me that it will make it sound alot better. Like I said it is a brand new car with a good set of speakers and a-b pillar tweeters. Should i spend the money to amplify the factory speakers? And does anyone know the specs on the speakers that are in there already??? Thanks in advance.

2010 SE w/6 speaker system.

I forget the front door speaker specs, but the rear door speakers are 5x7s, stamped "25 watts, 4 ohms, made in China". Classic paper wizzer cone OEM speakers.

These OEM speakers are better than those in the past, but it would be a waste of time running an amp to them. Futhermore, with them being rated at 25 watts, that means the stock headunit leaves much to be desired as far as output power. Clarity is lost if you adjust the bass/treble settings away from their balanced position. The stock headunit (warning, electronics geek talk) uses a single 'do it all' amplifier chip to amplify headunits audio. This is poor if you are looking for clearity and high fidelity.

Needless to say, changing the OEM speakers is a first good step (especially the rear door speakers, they are horrible for the back stage). A invaluable upgrade is adding two 6x9s in the trunk deck. My intended setup is going to be the stock headunit feeding a line level convertor, then two amps (6 channels total) to run the door and trunk speakers.

In the end, the factory system is weak all around.

Yeah I just noticed those 6x9 cutouts the other day...i also noticed a 4 inch cutout in-between that which would be perfect for a 4 inch port to let some bass from the trunk to the passeger comartment! (if you have aftermarket sub(s) in the trunk that is)