drgallo

Brake recall improved MPG by 6-7 mpg

I had my 2010 Fusion to the dealer on Friday to perform a 7500 mile service and to do the "brake campaign/recall". Since the visit I am getting about 6-7 mpg more than before. I can easily get 39 mpg now, before I could usually squeeze out 32 mpg, now I am up to 39-40. Nice change in fuel economy, though the car doesn't feel any different since the service.

I thought they had made some adjustments in the LED display too, but found that y default display settings (usually set at "Empower") had been changed to a lower setting.

Interesting, our FFH is due for first service, I wonder what will they do with it.

We saw no improvement and we had ours done a few weeks ago. I have to wonder out loud if maybe improving weather could be why. We are now starting to see a pretty big improvement in mpg but had the recall done and a good couple weeks of cold weather saw NO improvement. Also on ours the display was reset do to I'm guessing the battery unhooked during the reprograming of the computer. If you had a low mpg due to cold weather maybe now that it is warming up could be the reason you see a big improvement in mpg.

Edited by DaveM

We were struggling to hold 36 mpg before the adjustment, now we are getting 42 with no problem. Might have been the weather warm up too. I don't know.

Might have been the weather warm up too. I don't know.

No, you are correct. That is exactly the reason. Batteries do not like cold weather.

I recently got my car serviced for the brake issue and for the week afterward when the temperature was still in the 30-40 range I saw an improvement of about 1.5-2MPG not too shabby. But now 6 weeks later the temps have been in the 50-70 range my mileage has jumped from 40 for my daily commute up to 45.6....I am quite happy.

Wow looks like some of you are getting near Prius numbers for MPG. :thumbsup:

The brake software update is a 30 minute job. I don't think they do a TSB on an earlier harness reroute anymore. That was fixed by the software. Something's fishy.

Edited by lolder

I know. They said the software update failed and they talked to the factory. The factory is sending parts to replace in the transmission. I just hope I still have a new car when they are finished. I should have never taken the car in.

No, the software update was a good thing. Let us know the outcome.

It has been said by some sage posters here that the Achilles heel of this vehicle might turn out to be Ford's inability to service it. I think some of the dealers are definitely behind on the learning curve.