fus1on

Letters falling off.

Anyone else have the chrome letters on the trunk falling off? For years I tried to get the letters off of other cars using hairdryers, IR lamps, solvents. Now, finally in 2010, Ford introduces self removing letters. Couple more to go, and the trunk is clean!!

Edited by fus1on

Just debadge the rear, took mine off for the clean look. You can remove the lettering with some fishing line, just slide it behind the letters with some wiggling. Then remove the adhesive with some tar & bug remover. This works better in warm weather, or maybe heat up the spot a bit. Don't forget to wax that spot when you're finished.

fusionoff, I think fus1on is is stating the letters are falling off unintentionally. Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

Another effective way is to hold a rag under the letters and squirt some Goof Off across the top. In a few seconds the glue will let go and off they come. I've never taken off model letters, but have removed dealers name plates and stickers. I don't shill for no one and no dealer has agreed to pay me for free advertising.

Edited by 2010 Sport Blue SEL

Haha! I thought I was the only one who felt this way! That's right, I won't advertise for free, either! Prior to picking up the new car I always instruct the sales person not to mount any decals or emblems on the car or else they can keep it.

I make them remove their badges and license plate inserts before I drive it off the lot. I had one tell me "no" once, so I left. He called me on the way to another dealership and told me they'd do it.

Thanks for the replies. True, they are falling off unexpectedly, however, two guys at work suggested I use either fishing line or dental floss and finish the job. I'll try it Wednesday at work. The dealers sticker was already on the car and they claimed it wasn't easily removable.

Edited by fus1on

Thanks for the replies. True, they are falling off unexpectedly, however, two guys at work suggested I use either fishing line or dental floss and finish the job. I'll try it Wednesday at work. The dealers sticker was already on the car and they claimed it wasn't easily removable.

The dealer lied if he said his stickers won't come off easily. The only ones I've seen that are hard are the ones that get a clear coat put over them. I wouldn't buy one of those...lol

Just couldn't wait. Soaked the remaining letters, the dealers stencil, and the AWD/Sport tags with Mostenbackers Lift-Off for 10 minutes, and stripped all with 10 pound monfiliament line. Looks OK with some wax over the areas.