Sign in to follow this  
Grey

FFH Savings

We have driven the FFH 5800 miles in the past 10 months - virtually all city. Fuel economy has dropped to 35.7 MPG with the cold weather we had this year in Georgia. I just got my taxes back and decided to look at what I have saved with the Hybrid versus the 2007 Edge I traded in on it.

$3,400 Federal tax credit

$175 from the new car sales tax deduction

$490 in fuel savings

Total $4,065.

I realize that the Tax credit only counts if I would have bought another vehicle that did not have the credit, but i would have bought something (considered the Flex.) All considered, I think I have made the correct choice and might actually keep this one for a while since we enjoy it so much. (we tend to trade a lot - 116 new vehicles since 1966.)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only FFH owner whose mpg dropped to 35 this winter. 116 new vehicles? That must be some kind of record, over 2 new vehicles per year! And you must have a very good income!

I was a sales and marketing employee in the parts and service div. Many of those vehicles were lease and sales cars and some we turned twice a year. Got spoiled and can't seen to stay with any vehicle for very long. We've slowed down to about 1 a year since I retired. I guess I's save that much or more by keeping a vehicle for 3 years (but I want all the new stuff.).

Must be nice, I've yet to get over 33 MPG since December.

There are many ways to assess the "savings" when purchasing a FFH. Unfortunately the hybrid-haters perceive the electric-drive and battery expense as overriding any advantage.

For me, the quest to burn less fossil fuel was paramount. Consequently, I'm willing to pay more upfront for technology to that end.

Nine months later, not a shred of buyers remorse! Totally enjoying the unique features of the FFH. Winter mileage in temperate SoCal is 41 MPG overall.

My reason for buying both a FFH and MMH had nothing to do with the environment. I simply wanted to use less foreign oil. The thought of my money going to our enemies is the reason I went Hybrid. The thought of young Americans having to fight in the middle east so that we can have cheap oil is the reason I went Hybrid. The environment is a fine cause; it was simply not my main reason.

I've had my FFH for about 6 months now and I have logged a little over 18,000 Miles with a majority of that being Highway but with some heavy gridlock city traffic (thank you DC). I am averaging 39.9 MPG over the 18K as opposed to the 11MPG that I was getting with my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8. I have saved a little over 1185 Gallons of fuel and I have saved about $3140 in fuel alone. Not too shabby.