Sign in to follow this  
fordfever

Clear plastic coating on rims?

Did my first car was of the FFH, Noticed on one of the rims something peeling off. It looked like a thick plastic wrap coating at the edge of the rim near the wheels. I thought it was the protective plastic from being shipped, but as I tried peeling it was spreading inward toward the rim, not outward like I thought it would and come off totally. So the plastic seems to span across the entire rim itself. I am going to bring this up with the dealership and see what they say. But, has anyone had this issue or know what this would be? Very strange to me.

Did my first car was of the FFH, Noticed on one of the rims something peeling off. It looked like a thick plastic wrap coating at the edge of the rim near the wheels....

I would most certainly take the car in to the dealer, but in the meantime.............: Had this with a wheel on my Pontiac G5, but the car was out of warranty. Nearly all the factory wheels, I think, are clear-coated. In my case, the clear coating was bubbling on a couple of spots and that led to pealing.

I decided to go for broke. I purchased some fine grit sand paper and a rattle-can can of Clear Coat. I sanded and smoothed out the bubble and pealing area and sprayed with the Clear Coat. I didn't use much. I hand polished it all, and the area looked new.

I was impressed enough with the repair that I treated the other wheels which which had dings and chips on them. I'm terrible with rattle-can paint repair, but this really worked. So, if the dealer backs away from warranty repair, and if you don't want to go through the aggravation of it all, rattle-can paint repair might be an option.

I never knew that some rims were clear coated. Hopefully the dealership will take care of this as it only has 500 miles and there's no way a rock or other flying object could have done this as it is really in the crease where the tire meets the rim. I should not have started peeling it toward the middle, but it is noticable where it started. Thanks for your input.

My issue is with scratches on the rims from parallel parking and scraping against the curb. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the rims on the hybrid seem to stick out more than on the others. Of course, I also used to drive a smaller car :). I'll probably try the fine-grit sandpaper and clear coat to see if I can remove the blemishes.

CIMG0015.jpg