Howie411

Got a letter today from Ford

Even with the brake software fix, there remains a small possibility of a reversion to manual brakes after a computer brake component failure. Ford's instructions to continue to press on the brakes is inadequate. They must be pressed FARTHER down. Many, in hindsight, are saying why didn't the driver press harder (or farther) on the brakes. Posts in this forum bear out the fact that most drivers do NOT, including the test driver. There needs to be an education program. The increased pedal travel required for manual braking is perceived as a master cylinder piston failure that used to happen with some frequency in older cars. Pushing farther then usually didn't help. The Owners Guide at least should be revised to prominently display instructions to "Press Much Farther Down" when the brake pedal feels abnormal. Many don't read the Owners Guides so they should have a placard but marketing wouldn't allow a warning sign probably. With the state of regulatory publicity lately, look for this to be a mandatory recall.

Had my update done last week after my wife had a slow speed accident on feb 11th when she stepped on the brakes without any braking.I contacted my dealer immediatly after the accident and took the car to them.They test drove the car and could find no problems.I asked if they have heard of any brake issues with the fusion hybrid and they stated none that they are aware of.I then went online and found several reports of the same thing happening but there were no reported accidents yet.Consumer reports had a big article and also info on the recall which I took back to the dealer to have them check in their computer system and now they found the recall.The next week I got mine in the mail and took car in to have done.The dealership gave me a original estimate of $521.Then when I took it to them to fix it has turned into $1948.I have contacted Ford and they sent me forms to fill out to try and get them to repair my "percieved loss of brakes".I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and they are doing a investigation on the hybrid brakes which are the same as toyotas system.I have filed paperwork with the Atty.General in NYS.All this and my dealership says this is in no way my wifes fault but we have to jump through hoops first.If Ford has not contacted me within the next two weeks I have a scheduled interview with our local T.V. station and paper where they want to do a report on my car and the "percieved loss of brakes"as Ford calls it.The same percieved loss of brakes that happened to a consumer reports test driver as he went through a intersection while test driving this car.Granted my wife hasn't had the experience of a 30 plus year test engineer that the CR driver does but her accident happened in a real world situation not on a test ground.

I can't understand why you are paying to have the work done to begin with given the car should still be under warranty? That is unless you're talking about the damage from the low speed wreck.

Anyhow sorry to hear of your issues.

You could probably see from some of my posts that we've been chasing an issue.....either brake, computer or electrical in nature since about day two of owning the vehicle. I say those three because no one can say for certain what any issue is other than the fact the car hasn't shown a code for anything I have broght to Fords attention.

That leads to the main reason for this reply!

The more I read about "no known issues", "no other reports" "we're not aware of this" Blah, blah blah blah blah! Words can't describe exactly what I feel and they certainly don't belong being said openly on any forum.

I mean I was mildly perturbed in November and then thru December, but January, February and now almost half of March and I've lost all patience what-so-ever. Also many of us are still fighting a system that seems to not be able to communicate anything other than mayby........... ignore the issue and it will go away. I think they have that memo down pretty well. Seems to me that Ford ishaiving "computer issues" across the board since what ever database the issues get put in.....not a single one of the how many hunderds or thousands of Ford dealers across the country can't seem to pull up the issues made at any dealership.

I received my letter. I've had my car in for service. I've taken video of issues after the service was performed. I've talked and posted here until I am blue in the face and all the while I am told by the wonderful folks at Ford that I can't be having the issues because no codes were generated.

I expect things to go wrong in life. Just a fact of it. I can also excuse most anything.....except.....when......something goes wrong and instead of the company , people or persons that have sold me the item that has gone wrong immediately owning up to it........they turn it around on me to prove and make me into the bad guy......all because I spent my hard earned money buying the POS from them in the first place.

I'm supposed to be meeting with a couple of Ford District Marketing folks from Ford in DC this week as well as give my car to a District Enginner(?) for a thorough looking over. I can't be anything but apprehensive and .....down right po'd that it's happening. Hate to sound like I'm walking into the meeting with the "Rock of fricken Gibralter" on my shoulder but.......they put it there so.................

Gonna be a fun meeting!

Oh yeah.....by the way........the car has been flawless the last couple of days but that's only because it's been parked in the driveway. Actually what little it has been driven since Friday......nothing has been going on but that's been typical of things. Problems are inconsistant at best and ther are good day's and problem plagued days. Just no rhyme or reason to things. One last thing....to stay on topic............my brakes have been mushy and/or overly sensitive since the brake reprogram was performed....but come to think of it they were prior too.

Had the software upgrade 10B13 done yesterday. In and out in one hour including free multipoint inspection. Reset dash to "Empower". No issues before or since. Long term fuel economy was 40.3 mpg at 9000 miles.

Had my 10K service done two days ago. In and out in an hour. This included the software update. Oil change. Tire rotation, plus repairing a slow leak in one tire. (The low tire pressure light does work correctly.)

I never observed any brake problem, so nothing has changed for me since the service. The main change I am seeing is that with the warmer weather I'm getting better mileage now than I did during most of the winter.

Had my 10K service done two days ago. In and out in an hour. This included the software update. Oil change. Tire rotation, plus repairing a slow leak in one tire. (The low tire pressure light does work correctly.)

I never observed any brake problem, so nothing has changed for me since the service. The main change I am seeing is that with the warmer weather I'm getting better mileage now than I did during most of the winter.

Got my software updated today while I had my car in to look at a crack on the windshield, the funny thing is the service document I got says:

Demonstration / Delivery Hold: Powertrain control module (PC Reprogrammed PCM/ABS per Recall)

Though the letter in the mail stated it was not a recall but a "recommend" fix.