Sign in to follow this  
Howie411

Hows the Snow Handling?

Anyone in the DC Metro area taken their car in during either of these blizzards we had? I've kept mine nice and safe in the garage but was wondering how its traction is as I might actually have to go somewhere next week. :)

I'm not in DC but we have snow banks here over 6 feet high. The car is doing surprisingly well in the snow. I was originally thinking about getting some good snow tires and cheap rims for the Winter because of the OEM low RR tires (hard compound) but they are holding up well. The traction control is very effective. I was afraid with the throttle by wire they would try to completely eliminate wheel spin which in my book is bad... but they didn't. I can still one-way rock out of a mound of snow if I need to.

Jon

Anyone in the DC Metro area taken their car in during either of these blizzards we had? I've kept mine nice and safe in the garage but was wondering how its traction is as I might actually have to go somewhere next week. :)

The car does drive well in the snow. I second some of the points Jon made and would add that it has done better than any other Front Wheel Drive car I have ever owned.

I was messing around in a Parking lot checking how it would do and sent it into a four whell semi controlled spin. The Traction control actually even seemed to monitor therear wheels as well as it appeared to apply thise brakes according to how the car was tracking. I had lifetd out of the throttle and only mention that because I'm not sue if it makes a difference. I will say that it certainly negotiated the icier hills during out 13" snow two weeks ago. I just kept in the throttle....not floored but adequate.......and the traction control took over. I was making it up hills that Volvos, Accuras and even a couple Lexus's wouldn't. Pretty dang impressive. Ya know there are some really positive things I can say about the FFH but it's just all the dang, very reall issues I have been having that has taken them away.

What's the old saying......."you can have 100 attaboy's but ya have one aw sh!t and everyone forgets about the attaboys" Trouble is I'm having to many aw sh!ts with the FFH and only a couple attaboys. I would take a new one if the Deaker or Ford were willing to swap it out..........but that snowball in hell has a better chance of lasting than that happening. :doh: :finger:

Edited by oldschool1962

I would suspect that snow traction is all about the tires you have on the vehicle. I would suspect that most of us still have plenty of tread left on our OEM tires. If we were to ask this same question 10k miles later, many of us might have different responses to this. Many tires seem to do decently until you get below 60% tread at which point snow traction is severely compromised. Nothing will substitute for the performance of a dedicated snow tire in the winter, as i've driven my brother's Honda Civic with snow tires through 22 inches of snow. Even when you plow into a smaller drift, you just keep a steady foot on the pedal and it gradually pulls you through.

I have an older Focus that functions as my winter beater, so luckly I havn't had to subject my hybrid to this snow. I actually get jealous at you guys who tend to get a bit more snow as the snow that falls here in Cincinnati is usually only a few inches at a time with most winter storms dropping at most 5-7 inches at a time.

Snow + FFH = awesomness. Now being in Canada, where the weather gets cold and snow, I opted for 16 inch winter tires and rims. This car with the EPS handled ice, snow and icy intersections better then my 4x4. I went for the winter tires because we are constantly below -10C (where around the temp all seasons loose grip due to stiffness). The Traction Control works while in Hybrid or EV mode (tested both) which impressed me a lot! It's a great winter car (minus the mileage which is expected as per any car in a Canadian Winter).

Junehhan: You can have some of this snow, that we been getting in the Mid-Atlantic. We're not used to it, and the municapalities don't have enough snow removal equipment. Some of the local school systems have missed (9) straight days of school. Yesterday, we had a (50) car pile-up on the Interstate, along with about (400) other accidents

I would take it if the laws of nature would let me. You can keep your stupid drivers though, as Cincinnati already has enough stupid drivers as it is. Our problem makes it even worse when the Indiana oldies cross our border and invade our roads by driving 20mph under the limit, or crawling at under half the limit when it starts raining.

People who do not know their limitations severely irritate me. There is a notorious section of I71 which is a small cut in the hill that leads up to the higher class suburbs, and it is amazing how many people attempt it in snow that have no business even driving on a flat road in snow.

Better than a Prius does!! LOL I had an 07 that would not go up a hilll with a 1/2" of snow on it. every time a wheel slipped it would shut power down. That among a few others was enough to say G'day to the car.

Skidding out of control on icy roads toward a solid object is a decidedly unpleasant event. It is even more unsettling if the object is a roadside barricade meant to prevent vehicles from plunging off an adjacent cliff. The more disastrous scenario is that you have lost control of your 3,000-pound SUV during a snowstorm and are sliding quickly toward a subcompact filled with a pair of astonished parents and their terrified brood.

Fiber Plan

Edited by shubhinetwork

Howie,

I have a FFH with the standard tires and I live out in Herndon and commute into Falls Church every weekday (including the "Blizzard" days we just had) I would have to say that the FFH is an amazing vehicle in snowy/icy conditions. It is more than heavy enough to hold its ground and the stability control is simply amazing. With this car I was able to take the middle lanes on 495 when everyone else was on either the farthest right or left...I made great time. During last Tuesdays "Blizzard" I was able to get to work in under 30 minutes when it usually takes me upwards of 45 minutes just because of the difference in traffic.

Do not bother with snow tires. I am new to the area but with only 70-80 inches during one season is nothing and snow tires would be a waste of money...especially because this is record breaking.

If you go out in a storm just remember to keep your momentum up when you are going through the thick stuff and to take it easy when going through corners...other than that the FFH handles in snow just as it does on dry ground.

Matt

I was driving in to work last week in the snow when a Toyota SUV came down the entrance ramp onto the HWY I was on. The road was quite slippery and I had on at least 2 occasions seen the TC light come on just before I felt the slip myself. As the Toyota accelerated to about the speed limit it continued to move in the same general direction but was slowly rotating. I slightly lifted off the accelerator and sure enough I could feel a slight loss of traction. The Toyota in front of my got traction again but was pointed about 15 degrees to the right. The truck slammed into a 6 foot packed snow bank at likely 60 MPH and made 2 end-overs (there was an explosion of snow so all I could see were a rear bumper, front bumper, rear bumper again poking out of a snow cloud). The SUV came to a rest on its wheels on top of the snow bank a hundred feet or so from where it first hit the snow bank. I pulled over as far as I could and climbed up the snow bank. Luckily the lady was wearing her seat belt and was shaken up but otherwise unhurt. At first glance the SUV was in good shape but it essentially had damage on 5 of the 6 sides. I think it was totaled since the roof was partly caved in.

This Winter has been bad not so much for deep snow but tons of ruts and ice. So far I'm pretty pleased. I might just replace the tires every 2-3 years rather than get snow tires.

Jon

I had a chance to test the snow handling today in a 1 hour trip that turned into 2.5 hours due to snow. Stop and go traffic, deep slush, imposing ridges between lanes and pickups fishtailing around (and quite a few vehicles in the ditch). I'm sure the condition of the tires helps a lot, but the FFH felt quite solidly planted. Testing the ABS it seemed pretty smooth. Also 5.8l/100km (40.5 MPG), so there's that too.

99% of snow driving is based on the skill of the driver. The other 1% is the vehicle. I've seen fools doing 90 when I'm doing 40, and fools doing 25 when it's safe to do 60. I see trucks and SUV's in the ditches more than cars, and every time, they are RWD vehicles. Those get squirrely quicker and kick the ass end out on takeoff, in corners, and when they get any wheel slip. Traction control is nice when you hit a patch of something unexpected, but it won't stop you from getting in a wreck by any means. If you want a vehicle for the snow, you need to buy a snow-cat. The Fusion doesn't have that much clearance, and was designed for a paved, snow-free surface.