Sign in to follow this  
CmelChappy

six month evaluation

I have driven my Ford Fusion Hybrid for six months and 3,400 miles and although the local service department assured me that the riding qualities would increase and the stiff suspension would loosen up a bit, the ride has actually stiffened up noticeably, especially since the weather has dropped into the low thirties. I would like as much imput from other Fusion Hybrid owners as possible so that I can determine if it is just my Hybrid or if all share the same harsh ride. My local dealer hasn't had another hybrid in since I bought mine, six months ago. According to FOMOCO, there are only two new Ford Fusion Hybrids in the state of Washington, both across the mountains on the coast. In all other respects, my Hybrid is the greatest Ford I've driven in my 83 years, but the rough ride is causing me to consider going to a Toyota Avalon which is noted for being smooth. There is no doubt in my mind that in all other respects other than the cushy ride, the Avalon can't come close to the Ford Fusion Hybrid. I would like to hear from other Fusion Hybrid owners as to their expericiences. I started up a dirt road with a strip of "washboard" road and my card bounced and shuddered so bad, I had to stop and return to the highway. On smooth highway and crooked roads, it is the greatest. On tar strips, manhole coveres and other surface irregularities it is real unpleasant, one whack after another. The service department won't do anything until they get another like mine in for comparison, as they have only had four in all last year and not too familiar with them. HELP! My tires are all at 33 lbs per square inch!

Edited by CmelChappy

I have driven my Ford Fusion Hybrid for six months and 3,400 miles and although the local service department assured me that the riding qualities would increase and the stiff suspension would loosen up a bit, the ride has actually stiffened up noticeably, especially since the weather has dropped into the low thirties. I would like as much imput from other Fusion Hybrid owners as possible so that I can determine if it is just my Hybrid or if all share the same harsh ride. My local dealer hasn't had another hybrid in since I bought mine, six months ago. According to FOMOCO, there are only two new Ford Fusion Hybrids in the state of Washington, both across the mountains on the coast. In all other respects, my Hybrid is the greatest Ford I've driven in my 83 years, but the rough ride is causing me to consider going to a Toyota Avalon which is noted for being smooth. There is no doubt in my mind that in all other respects other than the cushy ride, the Avalon can't come close to the Ford Fusion Hybrid. I would like to hear from other Fusion Hybrid owners as to their expericiences. I started up a dirt road with a strip of "washboard" road and my card bounced and shuddered so bad, I had to stop and return to the highway. On smooth highway and crooked roads, it is the greatest. On tar strips, manhole coveres and other surface irregularities it is real unpleasant, one whack after another. The service department won't do anything until they get another like mine in for comparison, as they have only had four in all last year and not too familiar with them. HELP!

I think the Hybrid is a geat smooth riding car. But I'm 63 not 83 and have driven/owned a number of sports cars performance cars and like that type of ride. Before losing a lot of money getting rid of it why not talk to some aftermarket auto places and have them put softer shocks/struts on it. Would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

A lot of it is you were brought up in the time when everyone thought a car should ride like a boat and float down the road. Now people realize this can be dangerous and you just don't have the control over a big old boat floating down the road.

Edited by DaveM

I think the Hybrid is a geat smooth riding car. But I'm 63 not 83 and have driven/owned a number of sports cars performance cars and like that type of ride. Before losing a lot of money getting rid of it why not talk to some aftermarket auto places and have them put softer shocks/struts on it. Would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

A lot of it is you were brought up in the time when everyone thought a car should ride like a boat and float down the road. Now people realize this can be dangerous and you just don't have the control over a big old boat floating down the road.

I decided to change the factory shocks to softer riding aftermarkets and the best mechanics in Wenathcee, WA stated they had never done it on a late model fusion, particularly a 2010 Hybrid and didn't know how. One seasoned mechanic put my car up on his lift and attempted to remove a rear shock and claimed that he could not get the top shock nut without removing other vehicle parts in the way and that would be most expensive. Les Schwab claims they can replace the rear shocks and coils if needed, but will not install any competitor equipment. I can't ask the Ford dealer to do it as it would probably kill my warrantee, which is worth quite a bit to me. I can sell the 17" wheels and tires and go to 16" for a softer ride. I ran an add locally to sell the wheels and tires or swap with a Fusion with 16" wheels, but not a single reply. I am running a 38 mpg average and in the winter yet, and I like to get on it once in awhile. My dealer tells me he might have a hybrid coming in next week and that he will compare to mine to decide if I have a suspension problem or just an old geezer with a soft bottom.

I have driven my Ford Fusion Hybrid for six months and 3,400 miles and although the local service department assured me that the riding qualities would increase and the stiff suspension would loosen up a bit, the ride has actually stiffened up noticeably, especially since the weather has dropped into the low thirties....

I'm 61, but ever since the Muscle Car era of the 60s, I have always driven sports, performance vehicles. For the most part, these road like a rock with wheels. In the past 15 years, I have concentrated on econo cars. I'm "in love" with my FFH.

I was attracted to the FFH due to Ford not getting involved with the stimulus program, and with the hybrid system.

When I first looked at the Fusion, I saw the tires and knew immediately that the ride would indeed be harsh on poor surface roads. As such, I found the ride to be similar to three previous cars I had, a 96 Grand Am, 99 Grand Am, and a Pontiac G5. These three had similar low profile tires. I find this car not riding much differently.

I live on a 2 mile gravel road and curse that road daily. And my Chevy Colorado (small pickup) rides smoother than my FFH and the three aforementioned cars. But, the tire sidewall on that truck is thicker and taller, and can handle the awful road better. Honestly, a road like this is its world.

With all that said, my FFH rides as I expected, and on the highway, quite smooth. I'll have to be careful with it, as I was with the previous three cars, when encountering unexpected pot holes, and will gripe when the expansion joints do a wake up call.

Admittedly, cars today are designed for the perfect road.

I would suggest that if the soft ride is really required, look at the tallness of the sidewall prior to the purchase of the next vehicle. Also, the tires on these econo cars are LRR (low rolling resistance) and are stiffer.

Edited by lrymal

I have a 2004 Avalon and a FFH. The Avalon is much smoother over tar strips, etc. The tires are the main difference. They are otherwise about equally quiet and smooth riding. My long term mpg is 21 in the Avalon and 39 in the FFH. I look for excuses to drive the FFH. If you have rough roads, I can see your concern. There's nothing "wrong" with the car. Prius's ride is harsher.

Edited by lolder

I've noticed that cars tend to ride stiffer in the winter, which may be due to the tires hardening under the colder temperatures. The Fusion rides exactly as I expect. It is kind of like the numerous Lincoln MKS owners that keep complaining about how their car rides way too stiff. As Dave mentioned, cars for the most part do not ride floaty anymore. An overly soft suspension is going to cause vehicle control issues, especially at speed. These tires are also low profile, which likely the largest source of the stiffer ride.

I live in Cincinnati and we frequently have some of the worst roads in the US behind Detroit. I find the ride to be pleasant and confident, but you are also talking to a person who has owned a few performance vehicles in the past. I find that the ride quality of my Fusion is more comfortable than the ride i've had in some other vehicles like my SVT Lightning, Land Rover Discovery, or Land Rover Freelander. I tend to prefer a stiffer ride as I enjoy having the extra level of control.

What we are finding is that more and more vehicles are going towards larger rims with lower profile tires, which means that the soft ride you are looking for may be a thing of the past.

I've noticed that cars tend to ride stiffer in the winter, which may be due to the tires hardening under the colder temperatures. The Fusion rides exactly as I expect. It is kind of like the numerous Lincoln MKS owners that keep complaining about how their car rides way too stiff. As Dave mentioned, cars for the most part do not ride floaty anymore. An overly soft suspension is going to cause vehicle control issues, especially at speed. These tires are also low profile, which likely the largest source of the stiffer ride.

I live in Cincinnati and we frequently have some of the worst roads in the US behind Detroit. I find the ride to be pleasant and confident, but you are also talking to a person who has owned a few performance vehicles in the past. I find that the ride quality of my Fusion is more comfortable than the ride i've had in some other vehicles like my SVT Lightning, Land Rover Discovery, or Land Rover Freelander. I tend to prefer a stiffer ride as I enjoy having the extra level of control.

What we are finding is that more and more vehicles are going towards larger rims with lower profile tires, which means that the soft ride you are looking for may be a thing of the past.

We have a number of old state highway sections that are still maintained, are in excellent repair, but narrow as old highways used to be. My Fusion Hybrid goes around the many sharp corners like it is on rails. I never had as much confidence when driving my '71 T-Bird with heavy duty suspension as I do with the Fusion, it couldn't stay within miles of the Hybrid. Guess one can't have it all in one car. I read about all the six's hitting 0-60 in 6 secs, but wonder where they're at. I can more than hold my own in town and out on the highway up to seventy plus. Love the torque of the electric motor and hope for it ups it's horsepower in 2011. The secret to quick starts with the hybrid is not to floor the go pedal...start out with about half pedal for a few yards and then get on it. Thanks for your input.

I am pleased with the ride smoothness of my FFH in all but one area, just the one you mention. It is quite firm and hard in its reaction to tar strips and the like. I traded in a Mercedes for the FFH and the reaction to the tar strips was a bit of a surprise, but then the Mercedes did have an air suspension. In all other respects, the FFH is totally acceptable and is actually quieter going down the road than was the Mercedes. My roads where I live are generally quite smooth so I can live with the occasional surprising jolt.

Why not simply try changing to a better set of tires for your car first? Get away from those "LRR" low rolling resistance type tires and get something else. I agree with allot of the comments here that your tires are probably the number one item to look at, even before doing shocks or struts. Yea it'll cost you a few $ and a few MPG too, but not many. You mind find the trade off to be well worth it. Go to tire rack and plug in your stock size and then read the reviews for road noise and comfort levels. Each tire there has those ratings given by other purchasers. I myself also look closely at a tires "wear rating" too and I always look for tires rated at least 700 when possible. Anyway, I think changing tires would definitely change your ride quality.

I would keep the 17s for now and try new tires first. If you really want to trade your 17s for 16s, try posting that in the buy/sell or swap sections of this forum and the other larger one too:

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php

I'll bet someone will gladly take your offer.

Edited by Rodeo

Why not simply try changing to a better set of tires for your car first? Get away from those "LRR" low rolling resistance type tires and get something else. I agree with allot of the comments here that your tires are probably the number one item to look at, even before doing shocks or struts. Yea it'll cost you a few $ and a few MPG too, but not many. You mind find the trade off to be well worth it. Go to tire rack and plug in your stock size and then read the reviews for road noise and comfort levels. Each tire there has those ratings given by other purchasers. I myself also look closely at a tires "wear rating" too and I always look for tires rated at least 700 when possible. Anyway, I think changing tires would definitely change your ride quality.

I would keep the 17s for now and try new tires first. If you really want to trade your 17s for 16s, try posting that in the buy/sell or swap sections of this forum and the other larger one too:

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php

I'll bet someone will gladly take your offer.

I've tried finding used 16" rims for my Fusion and have come up empty. I have been searching for Fusion rims with no results, perhaps I should search by rim size...perhaps there are a number of older ford rims that would fit. I am going to purchase a 2011 Ford Hybrid and will insist on the dealer involved ordering me 16" wheels and tires or else give me full credit for the 17" that come with the car. The local Avalon dealer refuses to special order 16" for the top of the line model. It's confusing, all he would have to do is pull the new 17" off and install a set of 16", but he can't figure it out! Have decided to do nothing and wait for the next model FFH to come out and then try to find a dealer willing to accomodate me. If the economy continues on or gets worse, there should be a few hungry Ford Dealers around! I understand the new model year should start by this coming April. I purchased my FFH the end of June and it had been on the market for a few months before then.

Edited by CmelChappy

I've tried finding used 16" rims for my Fusion and have come up empty. I have been searching for Fusion rims with no results, perhaps I should search by rim size...perhaps there are a number of older ford rims that would fit. I am going to purchase a 2011 Ford Hybrid and will insist on the dealer involved ordering me 16" wheels and tires or else give me full credit for the 17" that come with the car. The local Avalon dealer refuses to special order 16" for the top of the line model. It's confusing, all he would have to do is pull the new 17" off and install a set of 16", but he can't figure it out! Have decided to do nothing and wait for the next model FFH to come out and then try to find a dealer willing to accomodate me. If the economy continues on or gets worse, there should be a few hungry Ford Dealers around! I understand the new model year should start by this coming April. I purchased my FFH the end of June and it had been on the market for a few months before then.

You will probably need to give things a little more time, but I would bet that you will start seeing a lot of 16 inch Fusion S rims start hitting Ebay in the next 4 months or so. The 2010's are brand new, so a little time would be needed as people start doing rim upgrades and so on. Since you already have a 2010, I just don't see what you can do by buying a 2011 unless you want a newer year version with all the revisions and software updates. My hybrid was made late September, and I have had absolutely none of the early glitches that i've seen posted on this forum.

You would likely have to pay full retail, but you could also visit the parts department at your local Ford dealer and have them order a set of 16 inch Fusion S replacement rims. There is also http://www.tirerack.com where you could probably find a set of aftermarket 16's that would be cheaper. You would have to becareful though as make sure that the rims you get have the proper offset.

It is not the suspension, it is the tires. Dropping to 16" and taller tires will give you that cushy ride, BUT your MPG will suffer. I used to have a Camry Hybrid, it had a soft mushy ride and handling sucked in it. I now have a Fusion Sport and the handling is like night and day, and I would much rather have the sharp bumps than the wallowing whale, makes avoiding potholes much easier. I have 18" wheels with 45's for tires and except for bumps, the ride is exceptionally smooth and quiet, moreso than in the Camry, I hated how the Camry rode, it gave me motion sickness if I rode as a passenger.