Sign in to follow this  
lrymal

Driver distraction

"Las Vegas, Nevada (CNN) -- The debate over distracted drivers ramped up a notch on Thursday as Ford Motor Co. announced technology to let computers read their Twitter feeds to them while behind the wheel...." http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/07/ford.twitter/index.html

THIS IS NUTS. Between reading the gauges as we hypermile, and watching all the info appearing in the NAV display and system monitors, I'm amazed more stuff is showing up to distract the driver propelling this nearly 2 ton vehicle down the road. When I first began driving my Fusion Hybrid, I was so fixated by all the system monitor displays, that I really caught myself being distracted.

As much as I am a "geek", this sort of thing would be worrisome to me. I would have to use it! :shift: Until a real "auto-pilot" becomes part of the traveling technology, I think this kind of display and communications feed really shouldn't be available while driving down the road.

You must've heard about this as well.

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/autos/article/ford-to-support-wi-fi-usb/

Nothing like allowing WiFi in the vehicle. They say no extra cost, well no, not from Ford but you'll be paying for the service via your Cell Provider, and that is not cheap.

Just wait, there is more and more "stuff" being brought out, like wifi, and a few others that is even more distracting. I used to drive 18 Wheelers, and anyone who drives professionally knows how little it takes to crash a vehicle, a 2 second distraction can kill someone. When I first saw a DVD player in a car, all I could think is, WTF, I can watch tv while driving! My Veracruz has the RSE in the ceiling, and I had it on once, I could see the reflection in my back window clear enough that I can watch the movie playing while driving. It hasn't been on since. Now add in NAV units, the engine display in the hybrids(had a Prius and Camry Hybrid, know the screens quite well), text to voice messaging, and all these other distractions, and you will start seeing more and more crashes by people not paying attention to the roads, and they think being on a Cell phone or putting on makeup was bad, just wait. They aren't blowing smoke when they say texting while driving is just as bad as drunk driving. Occasionally I get an email on my Iphone, and just pulling the phone out, tapping the screen to see who sent it, not to read the email, just to see who its from is enough to distract me from the road, so I stopped doing that, and only use the bluetooth if I need to call or be called. I am looking to install bluetooth in my Veracruz so I don't have to pull the phone out while driving that. I seriously think all these gadgets that are coming out will eventually kill people due to being distracted.

The idea is you use an existing 3G usb modem so there's no additional cost, but instead of only allowing access by one laptop it allows all of the passengers to have wifi access from laptops or wi-fi equipped phones simultaneously. So mom can be on Facebook on the laptop and the kids can watch youtube videos on their iPod Touches - while Dad drives. This is obviously not intended for the driver and there is nothing about this feature that makes it more likely for the driver to use wi-fi access while driving.

Oh a way will be found! Considering people HACK their NAV units to bypass the built in safeties that prevent you from using it while driving, people will find a way to surf on their stuff while driving.