Sign in to follow this  
mxmastro

Fuel Injector/System Cleaner

I was just wondering if anyone uses any sort of fuel injector cleaner in their FFH. I have about 13K miles on mine and I haven't run a fuel injector cleaner because of the warning in the manual (below). I found a similar warning in my Mustang's manual and I am curious if it is just a blanket warning or if damage can actually be caused.

"Do not add aftermarket fuel additive products to your fuel tank. It should

not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you

continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane rating. These

products have not been approved for your engine and could cause damage

to the fuel system. Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket

product in your fuel may not be covered by your warranty."

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have been running mainly Shell but if need be I fill up with Sunoco, Texaco, and BP fuels so I think the engine should stay clean by itself.

BTW akirby you make me jealous (4Y and only 40K)...I have done over 13K in the past 3.5 months.

Most gas today is E10 and the alcohol keeps the injectors and fuel lines clean. No need to buy injector cleaners. This is about the only good thing about E10.

Tell me more. I thought that E10 meant you didn't have to get the alcohol additives anymore (usually yellow bottle at O'Reillys), but I always used fuel injector cleaners anyway, which are different. I know that "gas treatments" can be either or but usually not as good as injector cleaner additives.

When I traded in my 2000 Explorer with 187,000 miles on it, it had never had a fuel injector issue, and I treated the gas with fuel injector cleaners quarterly. But that's just one data point, maybe others had injector issues while using them.