Steve R.

Audio System and MP3

We are looking into buying a 2010 Fusion. Most likely the SEL version. We took our MP3 player to the dealership to see if it would work. It worked, but the salespeople were not really able to answer my questions concerning how to use an MP3 device.

The Axillary input worked as expected. So no issue there.

We connected the MP3 player via the USB interface. It "worked" through Sync, but the radio face did not show the playlist at all. I had assumed that the radio face would display your playlist and allow you to navigate around your MP3 device????

So how would we get to see MP3 folders on the radio face? (Basically, how can I operate the MP3 player without using Sync.)

I see that there was a discussion concerning the Fusion radio having HD radio capability. Now that it is December, has this feature been added?

You just "tell" sync what you want to hear, and it plays it. "Play Playlist Iron Maiden" or "Play Album The Sound of Madness" or "Play Track Two Weeks" Why would you want to "see" your iPod menu?

You just "tell" sync what you want to hear, and it plays it. "Play Playlist Iron Maiden" or "Play Album The Sound of Madness" or "Play Track Two Weeks" Why would you want to "see" your iPod menu?

It's a Samsung MP3 player. I have no idea what is on it, since it is my daughter's. But even if I did, at 1,000 or songs, it is difficult to know what is available and being able to navigate through your collection of songs would seem to be an obvious feature.

So I am wondering whether the radio display face can or cannot do that. It won't affect my decision to spend $22,000+ on a car, but it would be nice to know when you spend that kind of money. Unfortunately the salespeople are technologically challenged. As another post discussed on HD radio, you get conflicting responses from Ford itself. So it would be good to hear from a real user.

PS: We looked at the Accord and they did NOT have a USB connection for your MP3 player.

It's a Samsung MP3 player. I have no idea what is on it, since it is my daughter's. But even if I did, at 1,000 or songs, it is difficult to know what is available and being able to navigate through your collection of songs would seem to be an obvious feature.

So I am wondering whether the radio display face can or cannot do that. It won't affect my decision to spend $22,000+ on a car, but it would be nice to know when you spend that kind of money. Unfortunately the salespeople are technologically challenged. As another post discussed on HD radio, you get conflicting responses from Ford itself. So it would be good to hear from a real user.

PS: We looked at the Accord and they did NOT have a USB connection for your MP3 player.

Well, I'm trying not to sound rude when I say "buy your own MP3 player, and you'll know what's on it". I put full albums on my iPod, and on my Zune also, so I just say Play, blah blah blah. I also make playlists like Mellow, Heavy, Metal, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. then I shuffle those and life is good.

Sync is nice, even if you can't read it on the stereo. You shouldn't be looking at the stereo while driving anyhow which was part of the reason for Sync. Don't say you wouldn't be either since you are talking about playing individual songs...

Buy the Fusion...You'll love it. Buy a 09 or 10 F150...they have Sync, too!

Thanks for the updates. We have postponed our purchase till the 2011 model year, when the HD radio is supposed to be available.

I did have an HD-Radio installed in our Honda Odyssey while we wait. Frankly the radio itself does not sound any better than the prior factory installed radio. Nevertheless it is great having a USB port and AUX-In. The songs off the USB, CD, and Aux-in sound great. It's nice not having to take any CDs on a trip.

Edited by Steve R.