Sign in to follow this  
goody1926

High Pitched squeal--HVAC maybe?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this but over the last couple days there has been a very high pitched squeal inside the cabin at times and it seems to be related to the HVAC blower. It kinda sounds more electrical/electronic than mechanical. When it happens it can be shut off by just turning the system off. This does not appear to be a noise associated with the blower motor but tied to the level of the blower motor speed as if it is something related to the drive circuitry.

It can be pretty painful inside the cabin when this is going on. I have not had anyone else in the car lately to concur because most of my friends and family have difficulty hearing high pitched noises. Thank goodness it has only happened a couple times but I have a slight concern it might get worse over time. I am going to continue to monitor it for awhile before acting.

Happens to me. It can be almost headache-inducing at times. I am thinking the same action as you. It's not that bad, and the warranty lasts a couple years so I'll monitor it over time.

When you hear the noise press the fan control down one notch. This will put the system into manual. Then increase the fan to max. If the squeel/whine is there when the fan is at max and then goes away as you decrease the fan speed then you have the blower whine that is driving everyone crazy. Seems to be worse in the cold. No one is sure yet if a blower replacement will help as it will be the same one that the car came with. It could also be a whistle induced by high velocity air moving through some portion of the ducting system. That would be even harder to fix.

Jon

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this but over the last couple days there has been a very high pitched squeal inside the cabin at times and it seems to be related to the HVAC blower. It kinda sounds more electrical/electronic than mechanical. When it happens it can be shut off by just turning the system off. This does not appear to be a noise associated with the blower motor but tied to the level of the blower motor speed as if it is something related to the drive circuitry.

It can be pretty painful inside the cabin when this is going on. I have not had anyone else in the car lately to concur because most of my friends and family have difficulty hearing high pitched noises. Thank goodness it has only happened a couple times but I have a slight concern it might get worse over time. I am going to continue to monitor it for awhile before acting.

When you hear the noise press the fan control down one notch. This will put the system into manual. Then increase the fan to max. If the squeel/whine is there when the fan is at max and then goes away as you decrease the fan speed then you have the blower whine that is driving everyone crazy. Seems to be worse in the cold. No one is sure yet if a blower replacement will help as it will be the same one that the car came with. It could also be a whistle induced by high velocity air moving through some portion of the ducting system. That would be even harder to fix.

Jon

Forums like this never cease to amaze me how much they can benefit everyone. Thanks for the steps to follow and I will see how it responds. The noise kinda reminded me of a TRIAC when it was used in AC circuits.