Sign in to follow this  
mikeN

2010 HID kit

I was looking for a HID kit for my 2010 fusion but was hearing that I I get the wrong balast it will cause problems. So being that what should I get. Thanks

Well my HID install has just turned into a big cluster f**k so I would not recommend a DDM ballast. Apparently "digital ballast" are the better of the two and you have a better chance of success. I got myself talked into the cheaper kit and let me tell you! I feel like an idiot.

Well my HID install has just turned into a big cluster f**k so I would not recommend a DDM ballast. Apparently "digital ballast" are the better of the two and you have a better chance of success. I got myself talked into the cheaper kit and let me tell you! I feel like an idiot.

Seems like most of the problems stem from one of two causes.

1. Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - While not required in the US but I have heard rumors of it being an option, they are required in Canada and some other countries. The DRLs are pickier with the amount of current used. If you have this feature, do a google search for DRL and HID for solutions. I've heard some people work around the issue with an accessory harness which supplies more current by using a relay to battery power. Others have changed their DRLs to their fogs instead of the low beams. Either way, do you home work first before you take the plunge.

2. Non-digital ballasts - The ballast is the module that bumps up the voltage to the HID bulbs. The cheaper ones like these from DDM are made with simpler ballasts which can cause problems with the car's diagnostics. Bulbs will flicker and go out. Similar to the problems seen with DRLs.

I've looked through a bunch of posts and it seems that people work around this issue with Bulb Out Warning (BOW) harnesses or accessory power harnesses. Sometimes they use both. The BOW harnesses trick most cars systems to not see a problem and not give bulb out warnings. Not all cars are the same so not all BOWs will work. This is probably the best reason why you'll hear they do or don't work. Seems more like a crap shoot.

If you want to try and save some money and have plenty of time and patience then this option may be ideal for you. The kits are pretty cheap at about $50 a kit, but you'll have to add the other harnesses which will double the price and make your installation more involved and messier.

The last option, and one that doesn't have as much about but seems to work the best are digital kits. They are more expensive and different qualities of kits. One or two people have posted about Xtreme HID. The web site looks cheesy but the products and reviews have been good. They are also the most expensive at $225 a kit.

This has been a summary of what I've learned in the past day or two. I'll probably go with the digital ones. I've learned that usually if you try and save a buck it will cost later on. Never like to be on the high end but definitely don't want to be on the low end, especially when it comes to your head lights. Safety first!!!! Don't want to be driving down a freeway and your lights go out cuz you went with the $50 kit off Ebay.

Be smart and good luck!