Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

Engine oil questions

Someone posed about I4 engine cars in Canada now calling for 5.0L (5.3 quarts) of oil. Was this on a Hybrid I4 engine? Called two dealers about this and know one had heard of a change for any I4 engines. Another question for those of you who have added oil to your Hybrid, what amount of oil does it take to fill from the LOW oil mark on the dip stick to the FULL mark? TIA

Someone posed about I4 engine cars in Canada now calling for 5.0L (5.3 quarts) of oil. Was this on a Hybrid I4 engine? Called two dealers about this and know one had heard of a change for any I4 engines. Another question for those of you who have added oil to your Hybrid, what amount of oil does it take to fill from the LOW oil mark on the dip stick to the FULL mark? TIA

My instruction manual states that the engine oil fill capacity on the Fusion Hybrid is a full 5.0 quarts of oil.

Typically in past Ford vehicles, I have found that it takes a full quart of oil to go from the lower marking to the upper full level marking. However, don't trust what I just said and add a smaller increment as Akirby just suggested. The consequences of over-filling your engine are far worse than under-filling it(within reason).

This is simple - add the lower amount and check the dipstick. Add oil as necessary.

I Of course will do it this way. It's the first car I've had that the owner's manual didn't say " it's a quart from low to full".

Edited by FFHdriver

I know that people who say "it depends" can be obnoxious, but in this case it does depend on if your car is on a flat surface, plus there can be a great stack-up of tolerances to align the little marks with an exact liquid volume reading. It's just a fairly reliable check, it's OK to just go from empty to + 5 quarts at the Jiffy Lube, or do it with the dip stick, either method will preclude engine damage from lack of oil, or loss of efficiency/oil integrity due to whipping up the oil to a froth condition if the bottom of the crankshaft contacts the oil on a regular basis.

I Of course I will do it this way. It's the first car I've had that the owner's manual didn't say " it's a quart from low to full".