Sign in to follow this  
Jdennis1

Won't Let Me Shift From Park

When I wake up in the morning for work my Fusion won't let me shift out of park right away. It acts like it won't let me but after a few minutes of messing around it does. it usually only happens in the morning but it bothers me. It's an 07 Fusion S. Anyone with any insight? Thanks

jason d

Not familiar with the Fusion lockout system, but I had a Chevy that did the same thing, especially when it was cold. Culprit was a switch up the brake pedal that was released when you depressed the brake, allowing you to shift out of park. Maybe a similar thing going on? I think some WD-40 solved my problem. Sorry I don't know specifics, but maybe it's a start.

There is a TSB on a shifter issue. My Fusion would not let me take the key out when I first had an problem. The first thing they will do is replace the shifter bezel and when that does not fix it they will replace the shifter. The problem is with screw that is too long as I remember.

Edited by kkey1

When I wake up in the morning for work my Fusion won't let me shift out of park right away. It acts like it won't let me but after a few minutes of messing around it does. it usually only happens in the morning but it bothers me. It's an 07 Fusion S. Anyone with any insight? Thanks

jason d

I had the same problem with a 1993 Grand Marquis. It became progressively worse until I had to deal with it. The problem turned out to be the brake light switch. This really surprised me and it was a cheap fix. I guess the brake light circuit enables the shift. Maybe a relay or some other gizmo.