03reptile

REPLACING HEADLIGHT BULBS..WHAT A PITA !!!!

As with my other Halogen equipped cars, I decided to switch over to the brighter and whiter Sylvania Silverstar hallogen headlight bulbs on my new 2010 Fusion SE 6 speed I-4. Got out the owner's manual after looking under the hood and wondering how the hell I was supposed to get to them! Well, I followed the recommendations and removed the entire air cleaner box and air intake tube on the driver's side. The low beam bulb,( part# H11ST), located outboard, was easy to remove and replace; however, the inboard bulb (#H7ST) was easy to get out but unfortunately I didn't take note of the bulbs position when removing the socket unit and after much swearing and knuckle bashing, I figured out how those little metal tabs lined up to get the unit back in place. What a pain!!

Well,.... when I looked at the passanger side bulbs I really was taken aback. You have to remove the passanger side (wheel well) splash cover in order to access the bulbs from the rear! I even removed the RF tire to obtain better access. I could again get to the outboard low beam bulb but getting to the high beam, inboard, bulb was just impossible. I followed the manual's instructions and moved the wiper washer fill tube out of the way but still could not get a firm hold on the bulb to remove it. There is a large metal unit (ABS related?) that blocks access to the socket and removing that would be beyond my abiliites. Even tried to remove the windshield washer bottle but this proved difficult to remove, as well. So... I installed the new low beam bulb and left the high beam bulb alone. I went back to the driver's side and re-installed the factory hi-beam bulb, so they'd match and replaced all the aforementioned parts. So now I have the Silverstones installed for the low-beams and the originals in the hi-beams.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience to those of you considering this up-grade. Short of removing half the front clip, I don't know how the hell you get access to the passanger side hi-beam bulb. God help those that have one go out!! I'm up for suggestions from any Ford technicians who have tackled this problem.

Edited by 03reptile

As with my other Halogen equipped cars, I decided to switch over to the brighter and whiter Sylvania Silverstar hallogen headlight bulbs on my new 2010 Fusion SE 6 speed I-4. Got out the owner's manual after looking under the hood and wondering how the hell I was supposed to get to them! Well, I followed the recommendations and removed the entire air cleaner box and air intake tube on the driver's side. The low beam bulb,( part# H11ST), located outboard, was easy to remove and replace; however, the inboard bulb (#H7ST) was easy to get out but unfortunately I didn't take note of the bulbs position when removing the socket unit and after much swearing and knuckle bashing, I figured out how those little metal tabs lined up to get the unit back in place. What a pain!!

Well,.... when I looked at the passanger side bulbs I really was taken aback. You have to remove the passanger side (wheel well) splash cover in order to access the bulbs from the rear! I even removed the RF tire to obtain better access. I could again get to the outboard low beam bulb but getting to the high beam, inboard, bulb was just impossible. I followed the manual's instructions and moved the wiper washer fill tube out of the way but still could not get a firm hold on the bulb to remove it. There is a large metal unit (ABS related?) that blocks access to the socket and removing that would be beyond my abiliites. Even tried to remove the windshield washer bottle but this proved difficult to remove, as well. So... I installed the new low beam bulb and left the high beam bulb alone. I went back to the driver's side and re-installed the factory hi-beam bulb, so they'd match and replaced all the aforementioned parts. So now I have the Silverstones installed for the low-beams and the originals in the hi-beams.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience to those of you considering this up-grade. Short of removing half the front clip, I don't know how the hell you get access to the passanger side hi-beam bulb. God help those that have one go out!! I'm up for suggestions from any Ford technicians who have tackled this problem.

Are there any major differences with how they look/perform? Care to post some pics?

From past owner reviews I've read, the Silverstars are nothing more then hype and expense with no real improvement in light output. So why bother I ask. I haven't read one review from anyone who actually said they ever saw an improvement.

Back about 4-5 months ago I replaced all 4 headlight bulbs. I can't recall exactly what I did, but following the instructions in the owners manual, I really had no problem at all doing it. Passenger side required disconnecting the inner wheel well liner at the front and moving it out of the way. My hands were sore and cut due to all the nice raw edges Ford Mexico leaves on the sheetmetal, but it wasn't all that difficult.

From past owner reviews I've read, the Silverstars are nothing more then hype and expense with no real improvement in light output. So why bother I ask. I haven't read one review from anyone who actually said they ever saw an improvement.

ding ding ding....We have a winner!! You're speaking the truth. I put a pair in, and it made no difference other than making it a little whiter maybe. Then I got to tear it all apart a SECOND TIME to put the factory bulbs back in so I could return them to Checker Auto.

I have them in my wife's 300C and my Shelby GT500 and they do make a difference. They reach out a little further and give a whiter light. Because they are not of a higher voltage, you're not going to see a SIGNIFIGANT improvement, but there is an improvement over stock. Will be ordering a 2011 Shelby GT500 and will definitely be checking the HID block on the order form. Big improvement.

I changed my bright bulbs last week and my head light bulbs today. No prob. Guess I'm lucky.

Oh yeah, it's an '06. And the Silverstar brights are whiter and a little brighter/wider. I like them. I can't wait to check out the new headlights when it get dark. Pretty soon!

Edited by Desert Fusion

hey man, a better way to change the headlight bulbs is to unbolt the front bumper and take the headlight out of the car. I work for a body shop and thats what I do. I take cars apart after accidents and I work on every different make and model. You went above and beyond what you didnt have to do. But I guess thats how people learn.

Thanks for the input. I've not had this trouble with other cars. I followed the instructions w/i the owner's manual for bulb replacement. I just didn't want to remove the front bumper as it looked like a pain to accomplish. And as a side note, when I ordered the 2011 Shelby GT500, I noticed that HID's are now standard equipment! Thank goodness! No need to upgrade those babies! By the way, what is the procedure for front bumper removal and can you do it w/o help? When the weather cooperates, maybe I'll give it a try, if its not too difficult. Thanks again.

Edited by 03reptile

In my 2010 Fusion Hybrid Owner's manual, there is an asterisk next to the High and Low beam headlamps that says "for bulb replacement, see your authorized dealer". With the added stuff around the back of the headlights, that is, unfortunately, good advise for anyone without body shop experience. :banghead:

Edited by rpreuss

Jeesh, talk about going above and beyond! The easiest way to replace the pass side low beam is definitely taking the wheel off and removing the splash cover. You'll have plenty of room to work and remove the bulb. In fact, this is the way it says to do it in the manual for the 3.5l.

Obviously, they all flunked "Reading Is Fundemental". I did what I said above and it was easy as hell. Plus if you turn the front wheels you don't even need to remove that wheel. My original post, which everyone is ignoring: "Back about 4-5 months ago I replaced all 4 headlight bulbs. I can't recall exactly what I did, but following the instructions in the owners manual, I really had no problem at all doing it. Passenger side required disconnecting the inner wheel well liner at the front and moving it out of the way. My hands were sore and cut due to all the nice raw edges Ford Mexico leaves on the sheetmetal, but it wasn't all that difficult."

Obviously, they all flunked "Reading Is Fundemental". I did what I said above and it was easy as hell. Plus if you turn the front wheels you don't even need to remove that wheel. My original post, which everyone is ignoring: "Back about 4-5 months ago I replaced all 4 headlight bulbs. I can't recall exactly what I did, but following the instructions in the owners manual, I really had no problem at all doing it. Passenger side required disconnecting the inner wheel well liner at the front and moving it out of the way. My hands were sore and cut due to all the nice raw edges Ford Mexico leaves on the sheetmetal, but it wasn't all that difficult."

Maybe you haven't seen a hybrid owner's manual. There are no headlight bulb replacement instructions. It says "see your dealer". The engine compartment on hybrids is more crowded than a non-hybrid and the back of the bulbs is not visible.

Edited by FFHdriver

Maybe you haven't seen a hybrid owner's manual. There are no headlight bulb replacement instructions. It says "see your dealer". The engine compartment on hybrids is more crowded than a non-hybrid and the back of the bulbs is not visible.

My reply wasn't to you. You're the 1st one that said anything about "Hybrid". They could be more difficult. Never seen one.

My reply wasn't to you. You're the 1st one that said anything about "Hybrid". They could be more difficult. Never seen one.

Actually, second. See 4 posts up. :beerchug:

And he is correct. You can't even see the damn things in the Hybrid engine compartment. I had the DRL's turned on and am having second thoughts since it will reduce the bulb life. However, not to start another argument, I feel the DRL's are worth the safety factor of being more visible.