aceinc

LED Tail lights

Does anyone make LED tail lights for the Fusion? Where can I find them?

I am hoping they would use less electricity.

Are the dome lights incadescent? Are LEDs available for these?

Paul

I tried three different designs. None were nearly as bright as a stock incandescent bulb. I'm looking for brightness and nothing delivered. The power draw from the tail lights is nothing compared to many of the other 12V items. The headlights are 55W x 4 (with high beams). That puts the headlights as one of the biggest optional draws after the A/C compressor ,the cabin fan blower, and the rear defrosters.

The only LED tail lights that will be any good are ones that are designed to put the LED emitters directly out the lens rather than trying to re-use the reflector that is there for the incandescent. That's how all the OEM lights work. As far as I'm aware there are no complete LED light modules that fit the FFH.

Jon

Does anyone make LED tail lights for the Fusion? Where can I find them?

I am hoping they would use less electricity.

Are the dome lights incadescent? Are LEDs available for these?

Paul

I tried three different designs. None were nearly as bright as a stock incandescent bulb. I'm looking for brightness and nothing delivered. The power draw from the tail lights is nothing compared to many of the other 12V items. The headlights are 55W x 4 (with high beams). That puts the headlights as one of the biggest optional draws after the A/C compressor ,the cabin fan blower, and the rear defrosters.

The only LED tail lights that will be any good are ones that are designed to put the LED emitters directly out the lens rather than trying to re-use the reflector that is there for the incandescent. That's how all the OEM lights work. As far as I'm aware there are no complete LED light modules that fit the FFH.

Jon

Jon:

Did you try the ones referenced by smr2112?

Paul

I tried two primary forward-fires with side-fire SMD and a full side-fire. Essentially what they have there for sale. They were all far dimmer than the stock bulb. The problem is that the reflector is made to reflect the exact position of the filament so that all the light exits towards the rear of the car with only some scatter. The LED units emit light either directly out of a single spot on the lens, which looks terrible unless you are directly behind and you go blind, or they emit 360degress from a 1 inch stalk which does not get reflected properly.

Jon

Jon:

Did you try the ones referenced by smr2112?

Paul

I tried two primary forward-fires with side-fire SMD and a full side-fire. Essentially what they have there for sale. They were all far dimmer than the stock bulb. The problem is that the reflector is made to reflect the exact position of the filament so that all the light exits towards the rear of the car with only some scatter. The LED units emit light either directly out of a single spot on the lens, which looks terrible unless you are directly behind and you go blind, or they emit 360degress from a 1 inch stalk which does not get reflected properly.

Jon

I guess I will need to wait until someone puts together a Fusion specific tail light assembly.

Paul

I'm pretty sure the 150amp alternator can handle your stock tail lights just fine. Your mileage won't increase with LED's in your taillights, so why are you worried about saving electricity? LED bulbs in your house will help though...

I'm pretty sure the 150amp alternator can handle your stock tail lights just fine. Your mileage won't increase with LED's in your taillights, so why are you worried about saving electricity? LED bulbs in your house will help though...

Had fluorescents throughout my house for years. When the price/performance of LEDs come into line, I will start swapping.

Paul

Had fluorescents throughout my house for years. When the price/performance of LEDs come into line, I will start swapping.

Paul

And for you, there is this...

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=11880

$63 for a lightbulb is a bit pricey, but should last the rest of your life...

I took a look. Unfortunately the Milan uses a completely different brake/tail/signal/backup light arrangement. If you look at the rear of the vehicle the Milan lights actually cross from the fender into the trunk.

Jon

Has anyone checked the practicality of adapting the Milan LED tail lights?

Paul

Me too. I only have 3 incandescent bulbs in my house, and that's cuz the wife "has to" have them in the bathroom. Everything else is flourescent/LED. LED's are more $$$ than I'm going to spend on lights right now...lol

Below is a list of light bulb part numbers for the 2009 Fusion. Are these the same for the 2010 Fusion Hybrid?

I am thinking about LED interior lights as well.

Paul

2009 Ford Fusion Car Light Bulb Size Chart

Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: H11

High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H7

Parking Light Bulb Size: 3457ALL

Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3457ALL

Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 4157LL

Tail Light Bulb Size: 4157LL

Stop Light Bulb Size: 4157LL

High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 921

Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: H11

License Plate Light Bulb Size: 6418