Sign in to follow this  
Oman

First (known) battery balance/condition event for me

My commute is about 2/3 HWY and 1/3 county roads by mileage. On my way home today there was an accident and the HWY was backed up about 5 miles from the site. The traffic was moving at about 20-30MPH. Normally I get great mileage in these conditions - sometimes up to 50 or so if I pay attention. About 1 mile to the gawker-creep in my ICE would not shut off. It was about 55 degrees out and the ICE was plenty warmed up. I noticed the battery gauge was at about 1/2 which is where it normally sits, but was charging. Even when I came to a complete stop it was still charging. The battery hit the top of the meter at about 4 minutes or so but the ICE kept on running. The battery icon showed charge mode even though it was as high as it had ever been. This lasted about 10-12 minutes and then the ICE just turned off. I went about 1/2 mile on EV before it came on again, this time just for the 10-20 seconds it needed to get me up the incline. After that it ran completely normally *except* for the fact that it now is keeping the battery about 2/3 charged at most times where it used to like it at about 1/2.

This happened at 6,800 miles. I don't know if it had happened before or not. If I had been at HWY speeds I might never had noticed. My mileage for that trip was horrible, about 30MPG. We'll see how it goes from here.

Jon

do you (any) suppose the battery gauge shows the true 0 to 100 % charge or is it it showing us its ideal max / min (not that we can or need to do anything about it) ?

signed still a 1/2 er

I don't know if it is going to normalize back to 1/2 as an average, but I think that it represents the range of allowed battery charge. It refuses to let it go below about 20% or so on the gauge so I think that is the normal operating range and will only go below that if there is some exceptional circumstance.

Jon

do you (any) suppose the battery gauge shows the true 0 to 100 % charge or is it it showing us its ideal max / min (not that we can or need to do anything about it) ?

signed still a 1/2 er

If you read in the manual you will see that our FFHs will occasionally recondition their batterys. I suspect mine did it around 7000mi as well because I did my normal commute to work where I usually get around 45MPG and I got about 32. I saw it charge up to the top and then it drained very far down and then when I came to a stop it kept the gas running back up to the top. I hope this helps.