Sign in to follow this  
sobayimage

Replacing FFH hood rod with struts

The Ford Fusion Hybrid comes with a difficult to stow hood support rod. It’s quick and easy to replace it with a set of gas strut hood supports and besides it 2009 not and 1950. They look great and work flawlessly. On the Internet they come in all prices but I’m glad I chose the more expensive ones (about $100 from Redline) because they are straight forward to install and well built. I had never used a pop riveter before but after the first rivet the rest were easy. It was about 30 minutes with a 3/16 drill bit, a tape measure, a swivel riveter, a bit of measuring and it was done. Paying for a quality ($20) rivet gun was worth it. The hood raises itself after opening about a foot and slows to a stop at full opening.

post-4466-1256341783_thumb.jpg

post-4466-1256342294_thumb.jpg

Nice & no more worries about the hood rod hitting the positive terminal of the battery !

Nice & no more worries about the hood rod hitting the positive terminal of the battery !

Wonder why Ford didn't turn the battery 180 degrees and this wouldn't be a problem?

Nice mod, but no car yet. Purchased in first days of September, still not here.

Any Warranty issues doing that mod?

There are no warranty issues. This is similar to tinting your windows. Does the tint invalidate your car warranty?

The only warranty that becomes invald is the warranty on the prop rod itself.

the rust protection on the hood is null and void.

I remember the auto makers a year or two ago talking about "smart bolts". If you didn't have the dealer access coded RF key you couldn't open your hood. They didn't want those pesky customers messing up "their" stuff. We are all lucky we even have hoods that open :<

Jon

the rust protection on the hood is null and void.

I remember the auto makers a year or two ago talking about "smart bolts". If you didn't have the dealer access coded RF key you couldn't open your hood. They didn't want those pesky customers messing up "their" stuff. We are all lucky we even have hoods that open :<

Jon

Zane mentioned the trust issue in his/her review of the FFH

"We also appreciated Ford trusting us to adjust the SmartGauge system while in motion. Sometimes automakers lock out the settings and configuration menus on navigation systems and driver information systems at speed. It’s an annoying trend. Ford, showing respect for the driver, has opted to allow access to the SmartGauge configuration menu while on the road. Ford, thank you."

I received my struts yesterday. I went with the more expensive ones as I figured I'd be keeping this FFH for a long time and extra cost spread over all those years equal pennies and gives it a nicer look. Like most projects getting everything together took longer than the actual job. Works great and not having to mess with the prop rod will be a plus even thought I really wasn't for it at first but futher thinking and I said what the heck there just isn't much else out there for customizing our Hybrids yet. I wish someone would come up with a nice graphic set for the Hybrid that makes the car look more sporty and I don't mean some dumb green leaves stuck on the side.