Sign in to follow this  
DaveM

Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

While looking at my window sticker I noticed that it claims on my FFH that I have a leather wrapped steering wheel. Well it is stitched something but if it is leather it must have come off a plastic cow. It don't look or feel like leather. How about the rest of ya. Do you feel as I do?

The wheel on my MMH appears to be leather. I've had a leather-wrapped wheel in my last four cars and it doesn't appear much different than the others.

It is definitely leather. That junk you can buy at the auto parts store feels nice and soft at first but then it gets all sticky and crusty. The leather on the wheel is tanned and sealed to make it more durable while still giving good leather grip.

Jon

The wheel on my MMH appears to be leather. I've had a leather-wrapped wheel in my last four cars and it doesn't appear much different than the others.

I'm going to have to stop at the dealer and see if I can check it against another Fusion with leather wrap as mine feels just like soft plastic/vinyl and looks like the stuff the dash is made from and feels just like it.

Do you think that maybe it's because they aren't broken in yet? I know that they coat the leather with some sort of coating. Maybe you got a defective batch or something like that.

Hello. I've brought this thread back to the top because over the past couple of weeks a small section of my steering wheel has scraped away. I don't wear a ring but it appears to be in the exact spot where I usually place my hand while I drive.

I'll try and take some pictures of it but I was wondering if anyone else out there had any problems with their steering wheel shredding. I don't know much about leather or vinyl but something like this shouldn't happen on a new car and when it does happen, it makes me believe that it's NOT LEATHER ! ! !

Marc

I still don't believe it is real leather. More like a fake plastic leather. Having driven many G.M. vehicles with leather steering wheels this is the poorest excuse for a leather wheel in all my years of driving.

Here's three pictures. Hope they're clear enough. Question? Would something like this be under warranty?

Marc

I would expect so. It bumper to bumper, 3year/36,000 miles.

Dan

On a semi related note my center arm rest is beginning to turn white from sunscreen from my arm - so far have used nothing but a damp cloth to wipe it off but it needs more - just plastic so clean it as such ? (the steering wheel is fine ((I wipe my hands & arms off)) but the sunblock mixes with my sweat & ends up on the center arm rest)

Here's three pictures. Hope they're clear enough. Question? Would something like this be under warranty?

Marc

I've actually wondered if the top sector (from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock) is vinyl since it feels different than the rest of the steering wheel cover. It doesn't bother me too much since I don't place my hands there normally.

Maybe........ the once, thought to be extinct Nauga is back. Thought the 70's wiped out that animal for it's prized "Naugahyde".:finger:.