Sign in to follow this  
rfruth

Ford Hybrid Sales Strong in September: Thanks to the Fusion/Milan

My big concern is whether Ford is making any money on the sale of hybrids. I remember reading an article last summer that had a Toyota exec saying that they still havn't broken even on the Prius yet.

As a life long fan of the blueoval, I have to say that I can't believe what Alan Mulally has done to reshaping Ford. As a Ford stockholder, I have to say that I would want noone else running Ford.

My guess for only 1200 Milan and Fusion hybrids being sold for September could be that they were wiped out in August.

Does anyone know when it is officially considered a sale? Is it when the dealer orders one, or when a vehicle is sold off the dealer lot?

http://www.thefordstory.com/green/ford-hyb...es-and-mileage/

Here is another link that is based on the article posted above, which Ford expands on with their PR twist. After seeing Ford marketing totally stink under Jacque "the knife" Nasser and become even worse under Bill Clay Ford Jr, I have to say that FOrd is really getting things together.

This link also takes you to a video of the Ford 1000 mile challenge.

thefordstory.com (link above) says it best "Ford Hybrids: Racking up Sales and Mileage" - Ford is here to stay and they mean business !

Ford, Honda vie for second place in U.S. hybrid sales

go FORD !

("Automotive News October 15, 2009 - 2:05 pm ET - Ford Motor Co. is gaining on Honda Motor Co. for the No. 2 spot among hybrid vehicle sellers in the United States."...)

That site seems to require registration, so i'll just paste it here.

Ford, Honda vie for second place in U.S. hybrid sales

Philip Nussel

Automotive News

October 15, 2009 - 2:05 pm ET

Ford Motor Co. is gaining on Honda Motor Co. for the No. 2 spot among hybrid vehicle sellers in the United States.

Toyota Motor Corp. leads all automakers in U.S. hybrid sales by a wide margin, selling more than all of its rivals combined.

Paced by the Ford Fusion and Escape hybrids, Ford sold 26,016 hybrid vehicles during the first nine months of 2009 -- a 73 percent gain in hybrid vehicle sales compared with the same period a year ago, according to figures compiled by the Automotive News Data Center.

Honda, led by the Insight and Civic hybrids, held the No. 2 spot. It sold 29,958 hybrids during the nine-month period, a gain of 8 percent from the year-earlier period.

Toyota continues to sell the vast majority of U.S. hybrids, with a total of 144,351 over the nine months. But with Prius sales down 20 percent, Toyota's total U.S. hybrid sales fell 28 percent in the first nine months.

3% of the market

The total U.S. hybrid market declined 15 percent over the nine months to 220,594, slipping in part because gasoline prices were stable at around $2.50 a gallon through the summer and fall. Hybrid vehicles accounted for about 3 percent of the 7.8 million vehicles sold in the first nine months.

Ford trumpeted its hybrid gains in a statement released yesterday. “More than 60 percent of Fusion Hybrid sales have been from non-Ford owners, and more than half of those are customers coming from import brands, mostly from Toyota and Honda,” David Finnegan, Ford hybrid marketing manager, said in the statement.

Ford overtook Honda in monthly hybrid sales in July by 2,089 vehicles and again in September by 240 units. For the full nine months, Honda was still 3,942 hybrid sales ahead of Ford.

General Motors finished fourth in the U.S. hybrid market with 12,556 units through September, up 39 percent from a year earlier. Increased sales of the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid and several SUV hybrids led the gains.

Nissan Motor Co. was a distant fifth in the market in the first nine months, selling 7,713 hybrids, up 7 percent.

Prius, Camry lead

The Toyota Prius remains the No. 1 selling hybrid with 104,794 in sales through the first nine months, followed by the Camry Hybrid with 18,502.

Honda's Insight emerged as the top-selling non-Toyota hybrid with 15,791 vehicles sold through September. The Civic Hybrid was next with 14,166.

The Ford Escape Hybrid followed with 12,009 and the Fusion Hybrid was next with 11,468.

U.S. Hybrid Vehicle Sales

9 mos. 2009 9 mos. 2008 % change

Ford Motor Co. 26,016 15,015 73%

General Motors 12,556 9,053 39%

American Honda 29,958 27,793 8%

Nissan N.A. 7,713 7,202 7%

Toyota Motor Sales 144,351 200,450 -28%

TOTAL 220,594 259,513 -15%

Source: Automotive News Data Center, companies and National Renewable Energy Laboratory