Sign in to follow this  
lolder

Performance

With 4700 miles on the OD, I decided it was time to check the performance on my straight, level country road for the first time. I usually drive with a very light foot and I had determined that there was plenty of freeway and passing power. After the slight hesitation from the ICE starting and a turbo like buildup, The RPM pegged at 6000 and 60 mph appeared in a little over 8 secs.; 90 mph appeared at 15 sec. where I quit. The acceleration at 90 was still very strong. Ah--now back to the quest for hypermiling. The power is sure there if you need it.

Lee

thanks for this but it makes me wonder why the car isn't even quicker off the line, don't electric motors have all their torque at 0 RPM ?

With 4700 miles on the OD, I decided it was time to check the performance on my straight, level country road for the first time. I usually drive with a very light foot and I had determined that there was plenty of freeway and passing power. After the slight hesitation from the ICE starting and a turbo like buildup, The RPM pegged at 6000 and 60 mph appeared in a little over 8 secs.; 90 mph appeared at 15 sec. where I quit. The acceleration at 90 was still very strong. Ah--now back to the quest for hypermiling. The power is sure there if you need it.

Lee

That is the beauty of a CVT versus a standard geared automatic transmission. I know that Nissan heavily uses that in the Altima and Maxipad sedans, but Ford appears to have steered back away from them in their regular vehicles after using them for a while in the Ford 500.

thanks for this but it makes me wonder why the car isn't even quicker off the line, don't electric motors have all their torque at 0 RPM ?

During the full throttle acceleration from a stop in "Engage" display mode, The ICE power percentage was always ahead of the EV power. The HV battery is not very big and I believe does not have enough output to fully match the traction motor. Sometimes the ICE and CVT provide electrical power to the traction motor. I don't know whether the power gauges in "Engage" mode measure percent horsepower, torque or a combination related to computed power demand. I don't know if this vehicle has an adaptive transmission that learns your driving habits. Allowing the ICE to redline at 6000 rpm without automatic transmission shifts or torque converter losses is very efficient in delivering power to the road (the 6 minute average went to 25 mpg though). You'll probably do this once if at all (be careful) because that's not why you bought the car. It reminded me of an old '52 Buick Special straight 8 dynaflow that my folks had. Dynaflows didn't shift except for some later models and the transmission was essentially all torgue converter with a lot of losses but it sure would wind up. Now you know how old I am.

Lee

I've found that my FFH accellerates more quickly from a dead start by not flooring the pedal, which causes a momenetary bog. I start out in electric mode and then after ten or so miles per hour, I then put the pedal to the metal for really great accelleration.

Have never checked the 0-60 times, but as my FFH will pull away from most gas rigs in town!

I learned this with my '71 high perf T-Bird. While others sit still smoking tires, I was fifty or sixty yards down the road and when I floored the pedal and 452 lbs. of pure torque kicked in, it would take nitrous to pass me.