seneca

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Any recalls/fixes regarding the poorly functioning RVM in the 2010 Fusion?

Check and see I think there is another thread on this board on the same subject. It can be a problem depending on your height as I remember. One person who had problems turned it upside down and had no more problems. Now as I get older my memory gets worse so check for yourself. I did a quick check but couldn't find the posts. Hopefully someone else will remember it.

Hi seneca. :D You give no details. Are you saying it does not dim properly? Not enough? Too much?

If there is a common problem or defect seen, there may be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which the Dealer would access to fix/replace a defective mirror. Have your Dealers Service Department check it for defects and see if it is functioning within spec on your next service visit.

Either way, there have been no "recalls" and there would not be a "recall". "Recalls" are for serious defects in safety, emissions etc, and the Fusion/Milan/MKZ have had zero recalls.

I have seen a few people (owning previous model years) complain in the past about it not dimming when needed. Not that this helps you at all, but mine works perfectly.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanx for responding. The mirror works fine(I've tested it w/lights ) BUT. It (the mirror) cannot "see" properly what's behind due to the #!%@*@ spoiler along with the high trunk.

.... They have spun/turned the mirror upside down, so that the dimming sensors are at the top of the mirror. In this way, it gives a slightly better angle for the headlights of cars behind to possibly hit the dimming sensors. Not sure how effective that solution was...

If you flip the mirror over, it'll work better. But it looks damn stupid, and the compass is now 180 degrees off too!

Hi 2010 SEL. :D Since you quoted me, I am not sure if you misunderstood what I was stating. So let me clarify: I am not advocating flipping it over, simply relaying what others have stated in the past. In fact, I personally can't see the 2-3 inch difference in sensor height which flipping it over would provide as really making that big of a change, although some of those who have done it seem to disagree.

Also, those who have done this have stated that it does not affect the compass. And even if it did, I would think that following the Owners Manual directions to recalibrate the compass would take care of that problem. And if that does not fix any possible problem, seneca can easily flip it back to the original position. Just throwing out ideas to help solve any potential problems or difficulties, although in reality I would just leave it alone and tell the Service Department he is not happy with the self dimming performance, in case there is a inherent problem.

As I stated, my auto-dim mirror works just fine as it came from the factory, so I have not needed to flip it over.

Hope this makes the information I relayed a bit more understandable.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Have you ever aimed a Satellite dish? Moving it just a inch would miss the sat. by many hundreds of miles. That 2" at the mirror could be a foot or so by the time it hits the back window so I see how it could happen. I will be curious about this when we get our FFH as I'm 6'2" and wife is 5' so we could have this problem.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in...

Mine also sucks at dimming. If cars are within about 10 car lengths, it usually won't dim. If there are street lights, it seems to not wawnt to dim. A couple nights ago, it wouldn't dim for anything. Today, a truck with brights was blinding me at dusk and it wouldn't dim.

I do prefer to have the switch and manually change it... like a sucker. I'm taking it in next week to have them look at it.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in...

Mine also sucks at dimming. If cars are within about 10 car lengths, it usually won't dim. If there are street lights, it seems to not wawnt to dim. A couple nights ago, it wouldn't dim for anything. Today, a truck with brights was blinding me at dusk and it wouldn't dim.

I do prefer to have the switch and manually change it... like a sucker. I'm taking it in next week to have them look at it.

I wonder if applying window tint film to the mirror itself would lessen the brightness of the lights shown in it? I think it would still work OK in the daytime... probably would be like having a normal mirror with a dark tinted rear window.

Tape over the front sensor, that will increase the sensitivity of the rear sensor. It is the angle of the sensor to rear traffic that affects the dimming, if cars are too close to me, which is usually the case, it wont dim. if they get back to a more respectable distance, LIKE THEY SHOULD BE, then if works fine. I just wish the side mirrors dimmed like they do on my Veracruz. These mirrors are at just the right height that pickup lights are blinding, and those idiots like to ride with the left wheels on the yellow line.

HAH I resolved the problem with the auto dimming mirror. I has nothing to do with the position of the mirror itself. It is the fron light sensor that is the problem. It is too sensitive to light.

A little piece of 35% window tint film over the sensor, and the mirror works perfectly. Distance of the car behind has no effect, as long as light hits the rear sensor the mirror dims.