Sign in to follow this  
HarleyJoel

MMH wouldn't start after car wash

I took my 2010 MMH to the car wash again today and decided to leave it in neutral and shut the ignition off. At the end of the wash I was unable to "start" the car again. It said something like "transmission failure service required". I pushed it to the side of the driveway, put into park, turned it completely off and then successfully restarted it. Glad no one saw it though - it would have been pretty embarrassing. I'll leave it on from now on.

I remember a friend of mine with a 70's something Trans Am Pontiac that he shut off in neutral while in a car wash. Damn near had to have the car towed because it was all locked up. Couldn't move the shifter, couldn't restart the car and couldn't even remove the key either. If I recall, there was something that had to be done to the shifter to over-ride the lock to get it back into Park. The car wash was not amused as it tied up their only lane for quite some time... Ahhhhhh the good ol' days!

The vehicle will not start in neutral. This is normal

Thank you - I overlooked that in the owners manual but have learned the hard way. :shift:

Thank you - I overlooked that in the owners manual but have learned the hard way. :shift:

Its a Hybrid, why do you have to start it anyway? Turn on the key, put it in drive and step on the gas/electric pedal.

I took my 2010 MMH to the car wash again today and decided to leave it in neutral and shut the ignition off. At the end of the wash I was unable to "start" the car again. It said something like "transmission failure service required".

he put start in quotes - what should we call it boot-up, turn on ?

Its a Hybrid, why do you have to start it anyway? Turn on the key, put it in drive and step on the gas/electric pedal.
Yes, I tried that but it did nothing. I called it "start" but whatever you call it - the green light would not come on and the car would not move under it's own power. Had no problem after I put it in park though.