rfruth

SmartGauge

SmartGauge  

28 members have voted

1. 1. enlighten

• engauge
    • empower
    • depends

Engage. Killed the leaves too---I prefer the history graph with a 20 minute period (2 minutes per bar)

Same here! I want to see all the details.

What I think would be cool for future versions is to offer different graphics or colors for the SmartGauge, kind of like how you can change the background on your computer. As it is right now, I don't see much point in changing the Smartgauge from Empower mode and getting the full monty.

Same here! I want to see all the details.

What I think would be cool for future versions is to offer different graphics or colors for the SmartGauge, kind of like how you can change the background on your computer. As it is right now, I don't see much point in changing the Smartgauge from Empower mode and getting the full monty.

What they need is for the leaves to change colors when fall gets here.

Empower + Graph = Most info :) - Plus with Empower you can play the game to try to stay under the Gas power threshold for as long as possible!

Engage because I like to see the electric motor power separate from the gas engine power. Bar graph with 60 min. interval.

"Enlighten" appears to be the only mode where engine RPM is shown. Watch this sometimes as you drive, the range is quite large but at 75mph, it is only turning about 2000rpm. My 3.0 liter Avalon 210 HP is turning 2600rpm at 75 mph. They really load up this engine at the lowest possible RPM when they are going for economy.

Empower is the only one that gives you everything you need to know at a single glance to drive efficiently. I have switched to enlighten to see what the RPM range is, but the design of empower is spot-on for knowledge in a glance.

I wish that Ford didn't call their system a CVT. From a technical perspective it is, but every non-hybrid vehicle uses a completely different system that is still suffering some major reliability issues. I have been in the dealership and heard people dismiss the FFH because they didn't want an "unreliable" transmission. The active planetary system used in a full hybrid can't be used in a normal car because it either consumes or generates considerable electrical power depending on which way it is converting RPMs.

Jon

"Enlighten" appears to be the only mode where engine RPM is shown. Watch this sometimes as you drive, the range is quite large but at 75mph, it is only turning about 2000rpm. My 3.0 liter Avalon 210 HP is turning 2600rpm at 75 mph. They really load up this engine at the lowest possible RPM when they are going for economy.

Definitely Empower mode - the green EV box is invaluable - but I stick with the "Efficiency Vine" to the right. It's gimicky, true, but I just don't need to be examining a bar graph as a drive! It would be cool if Ford offered different graphics for the efficiency meter: vine, flowers, etc. I doubt that would be a very difficult firmware upgrade.

I really can't think of anything else I would change about the instrument panel. Maybe if mpgs were charted up to 100 instead of 60? I think the vivid, informative interface is one of the FFH's best features. It really makes this car fun to drive!

I agree "Empower" is the most useful setting. I think all the engine gauges other than in "Enlighten" are in % power instead of RPM. CVTs and electric cars have been around a hundred years with all their individual pitfalls. The recent marriage of the two was made in heaven and solves all the problems. It allows the software people do do anything they want with the power train. I notice if I go into EV mode as soon as the temperature gauge goes green, it occasionally switches back to white for a while. I guess if I drove more aggressively it wouldn't switch back. I wonder why they prohibit motion under EV until the emissions are warm? I expect it's a regulation or a response to the way the EPA mileage tests are written. I would think, however that "not" running the engine except for normal acceleration and recharging needs would yield even lower emissions and better mileage. I have a frequent 1.2 mile trip downtown and the emissions only warm by the end of this short trip. On the way back, the car is hot and the AC runs hard. This is the worst combination. I am averaging 36 mpg with 1200 miles on the car.

It looks like most of us like "Empower".

I miss one gauge. I wish they could add another one on the right of the speedometer.... the engine tach. (We have three on the left, why not on the right. Just a matter of software. :hysterical:

I would love to see how fast the ICE is spinning.

I wonder if we will benefit from "Software Upgrades" or will they make mods like this only to the next year models.