Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy

Driver Seat Comfort

My first post, and I joined thinking I was going to be a proud new FFH owner. Though after test drives this weekend

I found the front driver seat to be very uncomfortable. It seemed much to narrow and I had the feeling of the edges

on the back of the seat poking me in the lower back kidney area and up on my shoulder blades. I think I'm of average size

6'2" 215 pounds and none of the dealers said that they had ever had someone say the seats were uncomfortable.

I went to 3 different dealers and drove 2 leather seat cars and one fabric. Felt the problem in all three.

Anyone have this problem and it has since passed because maybe the seat broke in. I love everything about the car,

but not having a comfortable front seat would probably keep me from buying the car and I really want to buy it.

If I order a can can I have different seats put in?

Thank You,

Jonesy

I read an article about the seat design. They do talk about the considerable increase in the bolster of the seat, which makes some people feel more secure but bothers other people. I'm a pretty big guy and I found them to be a bit annoying at first but now I like them. I don't know if the seat itself broke in or if I just got used to it. When I purchased it was one of the things that I put down on the negative side but it wasn't enough for me to abort the purchase.

If you are truly not comfortable (vs. just not used to it) then I doubt you would enjoy driving the car.

Jon

My first post, and I joined thinking I was going to be a proud new FFH owner. Though after test drives this weekend

I found the front driver seat to be very uncomfortable. It seemed much to narrow and I had the feeling of the edges

on the back of the seat poking me in the lower back kidney area and up on my shoulder blades. I think I'm of average size

6'2" 215 pounds and none of the dealers said that they had ever had someone say the seats were uncomfortable.

I went to 3 different dealers and drove 2 leather seat cars and one fabric. Felt the problem in all three.

Anyone have this problem and it has since passed because maybe the seat broke in. I love everything about the car,

but not having a comfortable front seat would probably keep me from buying the car and I really want to buy it.

Thank You,

Jonesy

I've never been a fan of power seats---too many options for my butt and back. It took me a few longer trips to find out what was good for me. The lumbar support was on when I bought mine and while it is supposed to help, it caused back pain. I dialed it out and it was much better. The good thing is that I can adjust the seats in all sorts of positions---the bad thing is that I can adjust the seat in all sorts of positions. I think I have it now. Traveled 1300 miles over the weekend and no problems---at least until my wife readjusts it for her. As bbf2530 said, I had driven Rangers for the past 16-17 years and my tush was a bit accustomed to that---cloth, no bolsters, 2 adjustments, etc. But I could tell that I would like the ride of the FFH. You certainly wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that you weren't comfortable in. There have been lots of vehicles where I liked the styling, engine, features, etc., but after driving, I wouldn't spend my money on the car/truck. Hopefully you will find one that is right for you!!

Thank you all for the replies. Probably drive again soon and spend more time with seat adjust before driving it.

Why is the lumbar support some large round knob. For the price of the car you think electronic lumbar support

would be available. That and memory seat buttons.

Those two options are in my wife's Murano and are a big help since she is 5'2" and seat adjust happens frequently.

Thanks again,

Jonesy

Thank You,

Jonesy

I'm 6'4" and 270 and I never noticed anything wrong with the seat. Everybodies bodies are shaped differently so a problem for one may not for another. Over on the Camry forum there are a very few who after buying the Camry now complain of neck pains after driving for a while so you may just have to look elsewhere. Sorry.

You can certainly have a modified seat put in but it may not be cheap. I don't recall anyone else complaining - it must just be a mismatch between the seat and your body. A custom upholsterer can redo the seat back to fit.

I said the very same thing to someone over on the Camry forum and it was then discussed about all the safety things put in the seats. Some seats have side airbags in the seat itself for example. I don't know about the Fusion but one big point was made that in a wreak they wouldn't be surprised that if the driver is hurt Ford won't take any responsibility for it claiming the seat was changed and not approved. I can just see them doing it. If the poster can't get a good fit for his body then he should look elsewhere. Cause it is no fun on a trip if your body aches.

Conversely I'm 5'7" and 155lbs. Seat comfort (leather) is superb. Lumbar adjustment is adequate; could use a tad bit more for my taste.

I've had various builds of passengers and they universally enjoy the comfort.

As always, take a few lengthy test drives to guard against buyer remorse!

Good luck!!

When I originally test drove the car, it still had the plastic protective cover that

the dealer leaves on while on the lot. Not a big deal, but I found this plastic

makes the seat uncomfortable as it stretches out and pushed against your back.

Once removed, the seats felt alot more comfortable and less annoying.

Took me a little while to realize this. So if you are judging the car

with this plastic on - remove it and then try. Would be worse the bigger

you are, most people would never notice this.

Also try adjusting the lumbar (the wheel on the edge of the seat) - if

pushed too far out, I also found this annoying and seat did not contour

to my back. I have to set it almost at it's lowest position. Other people

need more support. I am average height and weight.

I'm 6' and 190" and have no issues with the seat. That said, it does seem to get more comfortable over time, so you may just need to break it in for a few months.

I agree with MLWAVERUNR. I'm closer to "average" (5' 11", 180 -- but longer in the leg than a typical person my height), but it took me a couple of longish trips to get the seat set right, including adjusting the steering wheel angle and distance. On the first longish trip I climbed out of the car with a bit of lower back pain. On the last, no problem at all. I like the feel of the seat generally. I wish I could "lock in" this setting, however, because there are other drivers, and I have to "forbid" them from doing anything other than moving the seat forward or back -- no lumbar support change, no seatback angle adjustment, no change in seat height.

I do raise or lower the steering wheel angle once or twice on longer drives just to change my arm position, and I may slide the seat forward or back a bit during the trip for a similar reason. But I keep the seatback angle and lumbar suppoprt where they are, now that I've found the right combination. In general, I find the seats -- both driver and passenger -- more supportive than what I had on my previous car (a Taurus).