Sign in to follow this  
Rodeo

Here's a neat New NAV system as good as FORDS!

Preview: Garmin Nuvi 1690 GPS gets connected

garmin-nuvi1690-nulink.jpg

The fast-moving portable navigation device (PND) market has seen the rapid deployment of new innovations, and connectivity is the technology driving the latest revolution. Today, Garmin has introduced its latest take on connected information with the Nuvi 1690, a navigator that provides information like that currently available through the subscription-based MSN Direct service on uplevel units and adds a location-based social networking layer. On sale by year’s end, the Nuvi 1690 will be retail priced at $500 and include two-year NuLink service. Subscription renewal for data services will be priced at $5 a month.

The connectivity enables Google local search, and it can provide traffic, weather, fuel prices, movie listings, flight status, local events, and white-pages telephone listings. As with other connected devices, the Nuvi 1690 allows points of interest (POI) to be searched online, ensuring the latest information. A POI database can also be used, providing an alternative resource when traveling through a coverage dead zone. (See the Nulink coverage map.)

The Garmin social-networking platform Ciao! aggregates information from other networks, such as GyPSii and uLocate’s Buddy Beacon. With this ability, Ciao! allows users to share their location with friends, effectively redefining “POI” to also mean people of interest. The participating networks and capabilities are expected to evolve over time.

Like other recent, midlevel Garmin navigators, the Nuvi 1690 includes reality view and lane assist features to aid in selecting the correct lane and exit on major roadways. It also features EcoRoute, a function that optimizes route guidance to aid fuel economy and provides a trip log with driving speeds and acceleration data to help the driver develop a more efficient technique. The Nuvi 1690 also includes Bluetooth connectivity to pair cell phones for hands-free operation. Maps of North America are included.

Bottom line

A full-featured unit, the Nuvi 1690 moves further into the connected arena than current devices, like the TomTom Go 740 Live. At least at launch, it commands a premium price, though including two-years of service with purchase should aid sales and encourage social-network participation. The $5 a month fee after two years (free) is notably less than the charges for subscription-based traffic information alone or MSN Direct services on other devices. We will test the Nuvi 1690 soon as we can purchase one and report on how it works, with an eye toward potential distraction that may be caused by the social aspects.

Courtesy of Consumer reports

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009...-connected.html

(With the money left over, I'm going to buy All Wheel Drive - That's allot of savings here and I save even more because Garmin is not forcing me to also purchase BLIS and the Electronic package that I really don't want nor feel I need.) HA!

It looks to be a good Nav but comparing it to Fords is like comparing apples and oranges. Where on it can I change the radio stations, adjust the heat settings and the many more things that are on the Ford. Also is it 8" and does it show behind the car when you put it in reverse. Being a good nav but saying it is better than Fords is another story as I have shown it just can't do everything the Ford Nav does. And everytime I get out of the car I don't have to dismantal it either like you will on the portable at least if you want it to be there when you come back and all your windows still there. My brother lost his even though he hid it each time because the thief saw the ring imprint on the windshield. He got caught because of camera's in the parking lot where he worked and it was just down the street from a High School.

It looks to be a good Nav but comparing it to Fords is like comparing apples and oranges. Where on it can I change the radio stations, adjust the heat settings and the many more things that are on the Ford. Also is it 8" and does it show behind the car when you put it in reverse. Being a good nav but saying it is better than Fords is another story as I have shown it just can't do everything the Ford Nav does. And everytime I get out of the car I don't have to dismantal it either like you will on the portable at least if you want it to be there when you come back and all your windows still there. My brother lost his even though he hid it each time because the thief saw the ring imprint on the windshield. He got caught because of camera's in the parking lot where he worked and it was just down the street from a High School.

For a $500 versus $3000 price differential, when it comes time to adjust the HVAC, I'll simply use the HVAC controls that are inches away on the dashboard and when I want to adjust the audio system, I''ll likewise just do the same on the audio controls right there in front of you (or on the steering wheel too) and as far as the "rear view" the Ford NAV does not accomplish that alone and needs an approximate $1200 electronics package that includes the back up camera which you also cannot purchase stand alone but must include the "moon & tune" so thats closer to $2700 more really, so lets not give credit to the Ford Nav screen for that one either, unless you plan to include the extra $$$ to add the electronics that make it work. And on the FORD screen, you can't take it with you to use in another car, so that is different then a portable, yes.

But like I said, you get all the same features and even more on the Garmin such as features like "EcoRoute", a function that optimizes route guidance to aid fuel economy and provides a trip log with driving speeds and acceleration data to help the driver develop a more efficient technique. Then there's the matter of subscription services like Serius and Travellink, both required to maintain the service and costing between $10 and $15 a month at bare minimum (after 6 months only) whereas on the Garmin, the subscription service after the first free two years is only $5 a month total. So yes, in fact you are right there are some differences and it is apples to oranges but both round and both fruit but not enough nearly to make me spend the extra $2500 for the Ford system because to ge the FORD system costs roughly $3000 ($1800 NAV screen and required $1200 Electronics) versus the Garmin at $500. And should my Garmin ever get stolen, there's plenty of cash left over to replace it several times over too. By the way, comprehensive insurance covers your broken window and I dont window mount my GPS anyway, so no rings on my windshield ever to see.

Ummm---then buy the Garmin. Sounds like you are sold. No need to try to convince people how to spend their money. I had a Garmin---not that specific model---it was good but it was far from accurate or perfect. I cussed that thing on more than one occasion. I prefer the integration of the Ford system and it was worth the extra money---to me. I'm sure that I will cuss it as well someday. You prefer AWD? I wouldn't spend my money on it---that's me. It's all just preferences and luckily there are lots of options available to satisfy those preferences.

Sounds like you are sold. - It's all just preferences and luckily there are lots of options available to satisfy those preferences.

I am - and I agree.

I guess I've been lucky so far. My Garmin has never got me lost, and I work in the HVAC field, and spend all day on the road. I've logged over 43000 miles with my Nuvi 260W according to the screen. That new one looks cool. I'd like that lane assist feature too, especially when driving around Denver.

I am - and I agree.

After you get it and use a some lets have a report back here on its pluses and minuses from a real user. I don't always trust the mags as sometimes the same people who make the product also buys ad space from the mag. I have a Garmin for my HHR and motorhome as I use the same one in both but for the wifes new car we want the Nav. unit in the FFH. And as for what we paid for the Nav we are getting the FFH for invoice and have to wait till we sell the car before we can figure out the true cost of the Nav. But of course in that time we get the pleasure of using it.

After you get it and use a some lets have a report back here on its pluses and minuses from a real user. I don't always trust the mags as sometimes the same people who make the product also buys ad space from the mag. I have a Garmin for my HHR and motorhome as I use the same one in both but for the wifes new car we want the Nav. unit in the FFH. And as for what we paid for the Nav we are getting the FFH for invoice and have to wait till we sell the car before we can figure out the true cost of the Nav. But of course in that time we get the pleasure of using it.

No doubt I'd love to have the built in NAV of the Fusion but I find the price to obtain it to be obnoxiously high, since I myself don't see the need or desire for the electronics either. If it all were "half" the price, then maybe. Anyway I have owned and used a garmin 660 for many years now and have come to rely on it. The biggest downside I see is that it will not allow you to "back up" and save your stored destinations and addresses so if it ever goes bad or I replace it, all those addresses need to be reprogrammed into it. When I get the new FF I will likely upgrade to a new Garmin such as the 1690 to get the interactive features such as Traffic and Weather plus the "Birds eye view" and lane assist feature too. I'll be glad to report back about a quick review after I've used it but I expect it to perform as advertised and do trust the Garmin name as one of the very top GPS suppliers. By the way, I wasn't trying to talk anyone into this new Garmin so much as I was pointing out the reasons why I myself see the value of it as compared to buying the FORD built in Nav screen. If it came off wrong, please understand that is not what was intended. The way that FORD has built their packages has forced me to rethink my purchase and I even decided to downgrade to the SEL model because of the way stuff is packaged. There are certain things I definitely want and certain things I definitely find way too high or unnecessary and having lived with a portable Garmin for years tells me I can continue to do so, knowing it will closely rival the features of the built in FORD screen.

No doubt I'd love to have the built in NAV of the Fusion but I find the price to obtain it to be obnoxiously high, since I myself don't see the need or desire for the electronics either. If it all were "half" the price, then maybe. Anyway I have owned and used a garmin 660 for many years now and have come to rely on it. The biggest downside I see is that it will not allow you to "back up" and save your stored destinations and addresses so if it ever goes bad or I replace it, all those addresses need to be reprogrammed into it. When I get the new FF I will likely upgrade to a new Garmin such as the 1690 to get the interactive features such as Traffic and Weather plus the "Birds eye view" and lane assist feature too. I'll be glad to report back about a quick review after I've used it but I expect it to perform as advertised and do trust the Garmin name as one of the very top GPS suppliers. By the way, I wasn't trying to talk anyone into this new Garmin so much as I was pointing out the reasons why I myself see the value of it as compared to buying the FORD built in Nav screen. If it came off wrong, please understand that is not what was intended. The way that FORD has built their packages has forced me to rethink my purchase and I even decided to downgrade to the SEL model because of the way stuff is packaged. There are certain things I definitely want and certain things I definitely find way too high or unnecessary and having lived with a portable Garmin for years tells me I can continue to do so, knowing it will closely rival the features of the built in FORD screen.

I'm not sure where they store the info on as my wife had to have hers replaced cause it wouldn't brighten up on the cold winter days. When we got it back all her info like radio stations, heat settings and all the things like whether to unlock the doors when in park plus the last few places we went to were all still there. Now they have a hard drive in them and it is possible stuff will be stored there. Anyway I'm not sure what else you are refuring to about losing? Couldn't the same be said with your Garmin?

I'm not sure where they store the info on as my wife had to have hers replaced cause it wouldn't brighten up on the cold winter days. When we got it back all her info like radio stations, heat settings and all the things like whether to unlock the doors when in park plus the last few places we went to were all still there. Now they have a hard drive in them and it is possible stuff will be stored there. Anyway I'm not sure what else you are refuring to about losing? Couldn't the same be said with your Garmin?

On a portable their is simple fixed computer type memory inside that stores your saved addresses and preferences. It would be nice if you could download that data to save as necessary but unless new units are different, you cant back it up. On the built in NAV there is likely a "hard drive" yes, that stores that data and maybe you can back that up somehow so that would be a plus for the built in system (if possible) but then again a hard drive is more succeptible to crashing then fixed memory is to crash. The bottom line is that yes, naturally there are some differences between the systems but it comes down to what are the important differences to you the buyer that help you make your buying decision. For me, that aspect along with having control of the HVAC or Radio via the Nav screen are not nearly important because they are redundant to the manual controls on board the car. Plus it's less to worry about failing too.

Sounds trivial but I used to own a TomTom (which are great) but wanted a built in because it looks a lot sleeker having it built in. (not the only reason, but a big factor)

One advantage to the built in is that is uses the vehicle sensors to continue to navigate if the GPS signal is lost. So in downtown areas with tall buildings, or tunnels, or parking garages and such the built-in GPS will continue to function, while the Garmin will freeze up and say "searching for signal".

Now you don't really need navigation to get you out of a parking garage, but I have found it helpful to be able to calculate the route and preview it while sitting in the car in the garage, something the last Garmin I tried couldn't do.

How can that possibly be. Both function the same way, as GPS from sattelites in space and when the signal is covered up, its lost. Both have built in maps. I don't see how the built in screen could perform better in that regard at all. You'd have to prove that one to me by documenting it. besides, that ford screen is likely made by one of the major manufacturers anyway.

Simple - the vehicle knows when it's moving and how far it's moving without a GPS signal. So it interpolates based on it's last known position to approximate the current position. Hand held units don't have that feature.

We drove our STS for over a week with out a GPS signal due to waiting for a replacement antenna and it was just as acturate without it. You could still perform any function with or without the GPS signal. A big plus for the built in. We drove through NY City last summer and most of the time do to the tall buildings we didn't get a good signal most of the time. But at least we could find where we were going.

Well that is a good feature, but not enough to sway me to pay thousands extra for it. But hey, that's just me.

Well that is a good feature, but not enough to sway me to pay thousands extra for it. But hey, that's just me.

You say thousands just for nav but keep in mind you are getting a couple other electronic features for that money. I know you don't want them, but want them or not, they are in the cost, it isn't allllll going in to the nav system. Like others have said, you either want it or ya don't, hence the title "option". One of the best things about having a built in nav... when you get in another persons car, watch them take the extra time to take their system out of the glove box, stick it on the windshield, plug it in, and then start the car.

Point is, I like the idea of getting in to a car and not having to do more than just start it.

One advantage to the built in is that is uses the vehicle sensors to continue to navigate if the GPS signal is lost. So in downtown areas with tall buildings, or tunnels, or parking garages and such the built-in GPS will continue to function, while the Garmin will freeze up and say "searching for signal".

Now you don't really need navigation to get you out of a parking garage, but I have found it helpful to be able to calculate the route and preview it while sitting in the car in the garage, something the last Garmin I tried couldn't do.

Maybe it's the newer Garmins, but I haven't lost a signal yet with my Nuvi 260W. Not even in Eisenhower tunnel which crosses The Continental Divide in Colorado. It's about 3/4 of a mile long. It works in my garage too, with the door down. Now satellite radio is a different story.

You say thousands just for nav but keep in mind you are getting a couple other electronic features for that money. I know you don't want them, but want them or not, they are in the cost, it isn't allllll going in to the nav system. Like others have said, you either want it or ya don't, hence the title "option". One of the best things about having a built in nav... when you get in another persons car, watch them take the extra time to take their system out of the glove box, stick it on the windshield, plug it in, and then start the car.

Point is, I like the idea of getting in to a car and not having to do more than just start it.

Like I said before, you won't know the true cost of the Nav till you sell the car as it will bring more money than one without. Lets say no nav car cost 28000 and nav car cost 30000. When sold in say 5 yers no nav gets 10000 and nav car gets 11000. So the true cost of the nav was only 1000 and 5 years worth of entertainment. NOw subtract the GPS of say 400 for that little dingy one and now the cost is only 600 different. Just went to the NaDA site and checked out the price for the Nav in her car. It was a $2050 option but GM had a rebate of same at that time so didn't cost us for it. Anyway we should be allowed $1175 for it so that equals out to costing us $875 for it minus what a Nuvi 5000 which has a 5" screen and goes for about $500. So in all reality it only cost us $375 to use the nav. Taking it in and out plus taking the chance of getting broken into and my car damaged is worth the $375 to me. Also if they break a window to get in and it just happens to pour down rain you will be in for a treat.

I love my MIO Gps. I just wish they would come out with an update already for it. My mio also plays videos and has a camera :)

Not to beat this topic to death but I wanted to say that if the built in NAV was a stand alone option, I would probably be inclined to "buy" it in my new car. It is the requirement to also buy the electronics, the BLIS, Back up Camera, cross traffic alert etc that I really object to. That requirement effectively "doubles" the price of the NAV, if like me that's all you want. Again, I don't mean to belabor this further but just wanted to clarify my objections. I just wish they didn't package it that way. Thanks!

The same thing applies to the "Sport" model and I would be inclined to get one except to get the stuff I feel should be 'standard" (heated outside mirrors, heated seats, power passenger seat, auto headlamps, ambient lighting and keyless entry) requires that I purchase those items bundled with BLIS, the Back up Camera, and cross traffic alert, 3 costly items I don't want and am not really willing to pay for. Thus it forces me to move down to the SEL model where the things I want ARE STANDARD.

Anyway, enough bitch'in about it because I can't change it.

Like I said before, you won't know the true cost of the Nav till you sell the car as it will bring more money than one without. Lets say no nav car cost 28000 and nav car cost 30000. When sold in say 5 yers no nav gets 10000 and nav car gets 11000. So the true cost of the nav was only 1000 and 5 years worth of entertainment. NOw subtract the GPS of say 400 for that little dingy one and now the cost is only 600 different. Just went to the NaDA site and checked out the price for the Nav in her car. It was a $2050 option but GM had a rebate of same at that time so didn't cost us for it. Anyway we should be allowed $1175 for it so that equals out to costing us $875 for it minus what a Nuvi 5000 which has a 5" screen and goes for about $500. So in all reality it only cost us $375 to use the nav. Taking it in and out plus taking the chance of getting broken into and my car damaged is worth the $375 to me. Also if they break a window to get in and it just happens to pour down rain you will be in for a treat.

Well, to really be fair, you paid more than $375 net because when you sell that car you lose the Nav. Maybe you get more money for the sale of the car then you might get without Nav, but with the handheld unit, after selling the car you still have the Nav unit.

I do like the look of the built in Nav on a car, but I agree that they are generally way too expensive. If it breaks, you have to take it in to the dealer as opposed to just sending the item in for replacement. And if the car were to be totalled, the portable might be salvageable (and if not, renters/homeowners insurance covers it), while with the built in you will lose the unit.

Well, to really be fair, you paid more than $375 net because when you sell that car you lose the Nav. Maybe you get more money for the sale of the car then you might get without Nav, but with the handheld unit, after selling the car you still have the Nav unit.

I do like the look of the built in Nav on a car, but I agree that they are generally way too expensive. If it breaks, you have to take it in to the dealer as opposed to just sending the item in for replacement. And if the car were to be totalled, the portable might be salvageable (and if not, renters/homeowners insurance covers it), while with the built in you will lose the unit.

If in a wreak you get paid for the car so you get your money. Most insurances don't cover a portable GPS so that you lose. By the time I sell my car the portable will be so outdated that it will need replacing anyways.