Sign in to follow this  
bradleyls103

Dash Console

Anyone add a power outlet inside the dash center console? I'm looking for a closer place to plug in the detector. Also I am looking for wiring help so the outlet will only be hot when the key is rolled forward.

I can agree with your quest. I don't know why the Car Companies don't start to build in accessory plugs on top of the dash somewhere near the center, or at least near the top of the center console instead of the bottom to allow us to plug in our Radar detectors and GPS units. The cord hanging down is getting old. Ford's answer is to offer a nice NAV screen for $1800 but to get it you need to also buy the electronics package of BS and the total cost to get the GPS goes up significantly if that's all you wanted. By the time they start building plugs in to the top, our electronic devices will probably be obsolete.

Anyone know of a cord routing system made to clean up that dangling cord?? Anyone have a good way to mount a GPS in a new 2010 FF? I myself will not spend $3K to get Fords screen.

I can agree with your quest. I don't know why the Car Companies don't start to build in accessory plugs on top of the dash somewhere near the center, or at least near the top of the center console instead of the bottom to allow us to plug in our Radar detectors and GPS units. The cord hanging down is getting old. Ford's answer is to offer a nice NAV screen for $1800 but to get it you need to also buy the electronics package of BS and the total cost to get the GPS goes up significantly if that's all you wanted. By the time they start building plugs in to the top, our electronic devices will probably be obsolete.

Anyone know of a cord routing system made to clean up that dangling cord?? Anyone have a good way to mount a GPS in a new 2010 FF? I myself will not spend $3K to get Fords screen.

Drill the 1" hole, or so inside the top storage bin for the new power outlet. Then run the wires down inside the dash to the power outlet in the bottom of the dash. Then notch a small hole on the edge of the top storage bin door for the wire to pass through.

Done.

Easy enough right? They only trick is figuring out how to get the dash apart.

Hi,

If you have a Electrochromic mirror you can use a cord like the one they sell here... http://www.invisicord.com/index.html

I built my own using a regular telephone cord and hook it up in 2010 FFH.

I can provide the pinout of the mirror if you send me a private message.

APM

I am wondering where I can drill the hole without knowing if I drill into something. My luck i will drill into a brace or a wire harness and have to move an inch over. Anyone drill into the inside dash console yet?

Brad

Most consoles only have a couple screws at the back maybe a couple up front if they don't slide into a bracket so I'd think loosening the rear you could tilt it up enough to do some looking. Maybe you could stop at your Ford dealer and ask them. One of the mechanics may be able to give you an answer.