rlawson4

First oil change monkey business

So, I made an appointment (which I plan to cancel) today for my first "free" oil change. I was told by the service representative that my car required a $14 oil additive and a $13 fuel additive. Of course, I was surprised by this and questioned her. She assured me that "because of the heat and moisture in Atlanta these additives are required." This was news to me. Now, I do find that I change my shirt more often in the summer than the winter, I had no idea that Atlanta weather was designed by the deity to specifically destroy my new hybrid. So, I consulted the manual (funny that document that actually says what the car needs) and it mentions nothing about the weather. It does say NOT to add oil or engine treatments and that such treatments can damage the car and void the warranty. Now it does say such "after market" treatments. So, I have one question for my new friends here, are these Ford additives and are they required? Or, has my bulls..t meter worked properly today? I know I am not a car person and know nothing of car service, but this made no sense. I would expect that if such things were needed, the manual would have spelled it out. Thoughts?

I think your BS meter is working fine - snake oil (er additives) do nothing but lighten your wallet while assisting others with their boat payments ...

Hi rlawson. :D Yes, your BS meter is working perfectly. Ford specifically warns against using oil and/or fuel additives, and their use can lead to denial of Warranty claims should you have engine problems later. These are aftermarket treatments that are only being used as a "money-maker" for the Dealership, against Ford's specific recommendations.

And my congratulations on your fine investigative skills. It unfortunately seems to be a relatively rare individual who has the presence of mind to read that strange Manual (that document that actually says what the car needs).

Have the free oil change done, but inform them you do not want the additives, since you know that not only are they not "required", they are specifically warned against by Ford.

And keep your eyes open in the future. These types of attempted service "add-ons" are common (with Dealers from all manufacturers).

Good luck. :beerchug:

I appreciate the responses. I have decided to skip the free oil change and go to another ford dealer that is almost as close. I really don't want to start a business relationship with people who tried to scam me from day one. Thanks everyone.

Us Atlanta folks would like to know the dealer so we can avoid them.

Gwinnett Place Ford. I guess the good part about being in a major city is that I have other options.

The only time I would ever take a car to the dealer is for warranty work. The "service" department at most dealers just rip you off.

I appreciate the responses. I have decided to skip the free oil change and go to another ford dealer that is almost as close. I really don't want to start a business relationship with people who tried to scam me from day one. Thanks everyone.

Be sure to write a letter to the sales manager, your salesman, and the service manager telling them that from now on you will do your business somewhere else and won't be buying anymore cars from them either. Whether you do or don't, they don't need to know that.

Be sure to write a letter to the sales manager, your salesman, and the service manager telling them that from now on you will do your business somewhere else and won't be buying anymore cars from them either. Whether you do or don't, they don't need to know that.

Just address it to the owner, because your letter will not sway their sales tactics one bit. (Get his name if you can for the address) Then afterwards, avoid that dealer like the plague! You can't trust them for a thing now.

Just address it to the owner, because your letter will not sway their sales tactics one bit. (Get his name if you can for the address) Then afterwards, avoid that dealer like the plague! You can't trust them for a thing now.

I bought the service package with mine too, and for me, I'm stuck with it. They even change the brakes for free when they wear out. for free. However, I went in for my first oil change and inspection and it took them TWO HOURS!!

There are no additives required for a Hybrid based on locale. It would really suck if there was.

I was frankly surprised because my sales experience at Gwiinett Place was very good. I will go elsewhere for service.

Epilogue:

I stopped by Peachtree Ford (Tim Stewart) on Peachtree Industrial today. I inquired about my first service without mentioning my experience at Gwinnett Place Ford. The service representative told me he would change the oil and rotate the tires. That was it. The oil change would include topping off fluids, a battery test, a check of belts and hoses, and a check of cabin air filters. I then made an appointment with him next week. After, I mentioned what the other dealer recommended. The guy could not believe it. He said the same things about the after market oil and fuel conditioners that you all have taught me on this forum. I let the guy know he earned my business and that I would see him next week. Thanks again everyone for helping this non-car guy. I really do appreciate it.

Richard

Atlanta GA

Epilogue:

I stopped by Peachtree Ford (Tim Stewart) on Peachtree Industrial today. I inquired about my first service without mentioning my experience at Gwinnett Place Ford. The service representative told me he would change the oil and rotate the tires. That was it. The oil change would include topping off fluids, a battery test, a check of belts and hoses, and a check of cabin air filters. I then made an appointment with him next week. After, I mentioned what the other dealer recommended. The guy could not believe it. He said the same things about the after market oil and fuel conditioners that you all have taught me on this forum. I let the guy know he earned my business and that I would see him next week. Thanks again everyone for helping this non-car guy. I really do appreciate it.

Richard

Atlanta GA

Well you're better then a "car guy" now because you're a Fusion Guy! Welcome to the Forum bro.

Great choice Richard. Tim Stewart and his service department are top notch also.

It is a shame that some service advisors put their interests far ahead of the customer's. I'd give them a dollar a can not to put the stuff in my car. :banghead:

Also, I am glad you found this forum - there are others but they are focused on bench racing, who is winning American Idol, what did you eat for breakfast???etc. Most of us are interested on a well informed purchase and ownership experience. :happy feet: :happy feet:

This forum has been the best in which I have ever participated. I am glad I could contribute some of the information on the ESP warranty and the Body Side molding. I have learned a great deal from other on here.