jlindblo

Jukebox update?

We took advantage of the "Clunkers" program (thanks to you all) plus traded in our 1999 Toyota 6 cyl Camry on a FFH which has all the bells and whistles. Now the wife has severe arthritis and would notice any negatives in ride and comfort .... and from a person who would immediately let me know ... she didn't!! Her first comments were " It's much quieter and definitely more comfortable than the Camry .... with plenty of zip too. And the ride and drive-ablity is very very nice". So we got off to a good start here. But my question is about the Gracenotes database. It was the wife's birthday and I bought her 3 cds of her favorite music and recorded them to the "Jukebox". I had my Bluetooth enabled cell phone in the car and I expected (and hoped) that the album and artist would be captured and written to the Jukeboxe's hard drive, either by phone or it's database. It wasn't and I entered in all the information in manually. My thoughts were that the database on the hard drive would be aware of the cd contents, or that my cell would dial and hook into the Gracenotes database and grab the information. Neither happened leaving me a little confused. Do I need to request an updated software update on a cd ... or am I missing something here? :blush: :blush:

We took advantage of the "Clunkers" program (thanks to you all) plus traded in our 1999 Toyota 6 cyl Camry on a FFH which has all the bells and whistles. Now the wife has severe arthritis and would notice any negatives in ride and comfort .... and from a person who would immediately let me know ... she didn't!! Her first comments were " It's much quieter and definitely more comfortable than the Camry .... with plenty of zip too. And the ride and drive-ablity is very very nice". So we got off to a good start here. But my question is about the Gracenotes database. It was the wife's birthday and I bought her 3 cds of her favorite music and recorded them to the "Jukebox". I had my Bluetooth enabled cell phone in the car and I expected (and hoped) that the album and artist would be captured and written to the Jukeboxe's hard drive, either by phone or it's database. It wasn't and I entered in all the information in manually. My thoughts were that the database on the hard drive would be aware of the cd contents, or that my cell would dial and hook into the Gracenotes database and grab the information. Neither happened leaving me a little confused. Do I need to request an updated software update on a cd ... or am I missing something here? :blush: :blush:

I had the same issue when i put in a newer CD, so I called the number on the GraceNote page (CD Database Information)---it was Ford. The rep didn't really have a good answer. She 'thought' that the update for the database would be on the NAV updates, but from what I understood the updates were separate. I saw that Acura has free updates that are available for download for their systems---I would hope that information could be available for us Ford Owners through the syncmyride.com site. It was a pain to enter one album manually, I can't imagine several. :banghead:

I did see in the user's manual an 800 # to call ..... but I would prefer to just go to a website and download what I need. It's a snap on your computer so it shouldn't be any different with the FFH as long as your phone is active. Or so it seems to me.

I did see in the user's manual an 800 # to call ..... but I would prefer to just go to a website and download what I need. It's a snap on your computer so it shouldn't be any different with the FFH as long as your phone is active. Or so it seems to me.

Make sure you have reception with Sirius, that is how the information is updated.

According to the Ford notes on the Sync forum, the database is loaded from a CD onto the hard drive. It does not update live over the air. The database on the drive can be updated by ordering a CD from Gracenote. It does not update when you do a Sync firmware update. The CD is only updated every 6 months or so from what I understand. If you register on the Sync site you can get the order details, I don't have them with me. I think there is a charge under $10.00 for it.

Jon

Make sure you have reception with Sirius, that is how the information is updated.

It is in the manual. Again the song DB is on the hard drive, does not use or require a phone or data connection, and is updated via a CD:

"SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATES

NAVTEQ offers system software updates for purchase. You can call

1-800-NAVMAPS or go to www.navteq.com. You will need to specify the

make and model of you vehicle in order to determine if a map update is

available. Updates for the Gracenote database (CDDB) that contain CD

song/artist/title/album art are available. There is no charge for the data,

however, there is a nominal shipping and materials fee. Mapping updates

will be available yearly. Gracenote database (CDDB) database updates

are complimentary when a map update is purchased."

Thanks black70bird for the info. I will see if I can find the website.

SYNC and the Jukebox are two completely separate, independant systems that have no way of talking to each other. The Jukebox cannot connect to your phone and it does not get information from Sirius. As mentioned, the only way to update it is with a specially programmed CD. No SYNC update will ever update the Jukebox or the NAV system.

I am referencing the music cd information update, not the software. Sorry for the confusion, this thread was originally about the information on cds recorded to the jukebox.

:banghead:

Right, there is no information on an audio CD other than an ID (and the audio itself). There is a database stored on the jukebox hard drive that is supplied by Gracenote that has song info for the audio CD based on the ID of the CD. When a song is ripped to the jukebox the resulting WMA file contains the audio as well as the database info. If there is no database info you are allowed to add it yourself. The database on the jukebox can be updated via an update from Gracenote or possibly with a Nav map update.

Jon

I am referencing the music cd information update, not the software. Sorry for the confusion, this thread was originally about the information on cds recorded to the jukebox.

:banghead:

Right, there is no information on an audio CD other than an ID (and the audio itself). There is a database stored on the jukebox hard drive that is supplied by Gracenote that has song info for the audio CD based on the ID of the CD. When a song is ripped to the jukebox the resulting WMA file contains the audio as well as the database info. If there is no database info you are allowed to add it yourself. The database on the jukebox can be updated via an update from Gracenote or possibly with a Nav map update.

Jon

I just added 2 new releases to the jukebox and within seconds had the info for Title, artist and songs updated. :doh:

I assume that you don't have the Nav system, which the TS has (I assume that all the bells and whistles means Nav). Are you saying that the jukebox dialed out on your bluetooth phone and got the song info for you? Are the new releases so new that the data wasn't there for them? (I have several late 2009 releases in my DB, even though the CDs were released to the public after the car was delivered).

Jon

I just added 2 new releases to the jukebox and within seconds had the info for Title, artist and songs updated. :doh:

The updates won't be from Gracenote----their reply

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing. Although Gracenote has been delivering solutions in the automotive market since 2001, each car company has a slightly different strategy for distributing database updates to their customers. Gracenote has licensing agreements with automobile makers such as Ford allowing Ford to use Gracenote technology in its automobiles. The way that Ford goes about updating and providing those updates to customers is entirely up to Ford. Gracenote does not individually update automobiles, devices, or applications. It is up to the developer of such automobiles, devices, and applications to provide updates or a means to update the application they have develooped. Since each developer creates their own way to provide these updates the best way to get further information is through the dealership from which you purchased your vehicle. The following link also includes ways to contact Ford:

http://www.ford.com/owner-services/custome...rt/contact-ford

I apologize that I could not be of service to you at this time. If you have any other questions regarding Gracenote technology please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the email address below.

Best Regards,

Ryan Charette

Support Department | Gracenote Inc. | rcharette@gracenote.com

---------

No response from Ford yet.

Jim,

Thanks for updating us about the procedure for updating the Jukebox database. I have not yet called Ford for the purpose of getting the update so I don't know yet how involved that might be. I suspect the Ford Fusion Hybrid owners on the whole will have a greater grasp of technology than the people we'll have to deal with .... unfortunately. It would have been so simple for Ford just to have a website you could go to for the purpose of downloading and burning a cd. Too bad.

I couldn't agree more. The service rep here indicates that Ford will be updating the jukebox database with Nav system updates. That matches the manual but the question is, what if you don't have the nav system, and what if you want to update the database more often than the (usually insanely expensive) navigation updates?

Jon

Jim,

Thanks for updating us about the procedure for updating the Jukebox database. I have not yet called Ford for the purpose of getting the update so I don't know yet how involved that might be. I suspect the Ford Fusion Hybrid owners on the whole will have a greater grasp of technology than the people we'll have to deal with .... unfortunately. It would have been so simple for Ford just to have a website you could go to for the purpose of downloading and burning a cd. Too bad.

Learn something new every day, I thought there was a jukebox on the non-nav sync too... I've only RTFM on the Nav&Sync system.

Jon

Easy - if you don't have the Nav system then you don't have the jukebox feature. So you don't need the gracenote updates.

I received the Ford response today----

James,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately there isn't any information because we haven't received an official announcement concerning this. We have speculated that the Gracenote database update will be packaged with the map DVD update. At this time there isn't a map DVD update for the 2009-2010 vehicles. We should get additional information on the Gracenote situation when the map DVD update is release from Navteq. Once again there isn't an official release date for the map DVD update either, we are speculating a release by end of the year 2009.

Sincerely,

Robert

Ford Motor Company

SYNC Support Center

---------

Ya gotta love 'speculation'---so maybe it will be with the nav update or maybe not. :confused: