Sign in to follow this  
Rttphoto

BLis system, reverse sensing and camera

IVe been looking around at the 2010 Fusions lately and torn between the SEL v6 and the Sport. ONe thing that is also got me second guessing things are the options, especially the BLIS and reverse sensing and the backup camera. AS much as in thought these things maybe are helpful and cool to have, after a while was curious if these things get annoying after a while. I keep looking around for info on these things from other people but havent found much so I figured I would just ask here. Wanting your own personal experienced for the following. Thanks so much!

BLIS- I heard that it makes some drivers paranoid after a while cause it will be activiated when theres really no need for it. Is it activated everytime you try and move into a lane?

Reverse sensing- I did try a car out with this and the beeping can become annoying after a while I suppose when backing up into your garage or something daily. I heard you can turn it off from the Menu and some other ford told me there was a button once to turn it off.

then there is the reverse backing camera that comes up on the mirror- is it always activated when when you go into reverse? even if the car has the reverse sensing already? I could finbd this annoying also having to see that screen come up everytime in the mirror..can it be turned off also?

With all of this said, i know some things can be turned off but that they get turned on again either by turning the car off and on again or as soon as u hit reveerse again. I wanted some clarifications and it would be apprecaited.

I ask the dealerships but they just dont really seem to get into it, so figured I would ask those who have these options.

thanks!

IVe been looking around at the 2010 Fusions lately and torn between the SEL v6 and the Sport. ONe thing that is also got me second guessing things are the options, especially the BLIS and reverse sensing and the backup camera. AS much as in thought these things maybe are helpful and cool to have, after a while was curious if these things get annoying after a while. I keep looking around for info on these things from other people but havent found much so I figured I would just ask here. Wanting your own personal experienced for the following. Thanks so much!

BLIS- I heard that it makes some drivers paranoid after a while cause it will be activiated when theres really no need for it. Is it activated everytime you try and move into a lane?

Reverse sensing- I did try a car out with this and the beeping can become annoying after a while I suppose when backing up into your garage or something daily. I heard you can turn it off from the Menu and some other ford told me there was a button once to turn it off.

then there is the reverse backing camera that comes up on the mirror- is it always activated when when you go into reverse? even if the car has the reverse sensing already? I could finbd this annoying also having to see that screen come up everytime in the mirror..can it be turned off also?

With all of this said, i know some things can be turned off but that they get turned on again either by turning the car off and on again or as soon as u hit reveerse again. I wanted some clarifications and it would be apprecaited.

I ask the dealerships but they just dont really seem to get into it, so figured I would ask those who have these options.

thanks!

Excellent questions and much like yourself I am torn between the same two models, the 3.5 Sport and the 3.0 SEL with 18" wheels and Sport Tuned suspension.

Like you, I also wonder how reliable the BLIS will be over time and can you really depend on it to work correctly. There is another thread that shows the system is not infallable and that on a brand new car:

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?s...ic=2305&hl=

I can imagine relying too heavily on those little lights and making a lane change that results in an accident could prove that there really is no replacement for looking over your shoulder yourself the old fashioned way. I think a good rule of thumb would be that if you see the light lit to assume that someone is there but if it's not lit, don't assume anything and have a look for yourself. Personally, I don't think I will rely on that one feature too much. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about all this new technology too though as I myself was leaning towards buying it all including the built in NAV too. (I do see the "reverse sensing warning" and back-up camera as having a good use and value though, especially with the high trunk and reduced rear visability.)

I haven't had my FFH very long, BUT I do like the reverse sensor/cross traffic alert. I suppose it could get annoying, but it isn't like it is on very long---I don't back up THAT far for it to become annoying. The CTA has helped immensely while backing out of parking spots. I've had a couple of those "i didn't see them coming" incidents where I may have seen them eventually, but not nearly as soon as the CTA "saw" them. The BLIS is ok. I adjust my mirrors out quite a bit to eliminate the blind spot, so it really doesn't help me a lot. My wife still adjusts her mirrors the "old way" to see down the side of the vehicle, so it helps her. All of those systems aren't going to prevent an accident, but they make a great assistant to the driver by raising the awareness to areas where accidents happen.

I have NAV, so the camera comes up on the screen. I'm still getting used to having it. It's a bit odd to look down at the screen when backing---I'd imagine that it would be easier on the mirror. The GOOD thing is that you can see your bumper and quite a bit of the peripheral area that you don't usually have. I backed into a parking space recently and it was a breeze compared to not having that capability. I haven't had the need to parallel park yet. I suppose it's similar to having dial up internet and broadband---you don't realize just how good it is to have the high speed until you have to use the low speed. I'm thinking that I will come to rely on the camera/BLIS/CTA and will feel blind with it when I drive a vehicle without it.

mlwavernr,

On your NAV system, is the brighness adjustable? Does the background change from white to black at night? Does it say street names or only generic turn by turn (turn left etc.)

I'm still thinking about getting the NAV.

Brightness, contrast, it also autodims which is further adjustable. Day/Night mode, automatic or manually set.

It tells you street names, how many feet to turn in and also what lane to be in. Right before the turn there is this orange bar that will count down on the screen the exact feet before you turn. So it'll say "turn in 500 feet", then this bar shows up that will slowly dwindle away until you are right on your turn, I really like it. It's useful for when you need to turn into a business in a crowded city and you aren't sure exactly which drive to use.

What skluck said!! I was a little worried when I purchased the NAV---I didn't want to get a system that was lagging behind current tech in GPS/NAV from Garmin, Pioneers, etc. It is far from lagging. It's down right amazing when combined with Sync!! "She" tells me where I need to go, shows me on the big map, and shows lane to be in for exits, etc. Too much to list really, but I'm impressed. It's a steep price for the option when you compare to a portable system, BUT it does so much more and is a fully integrated system---you would be comparing apples and oranges between the two. And "She" yaps a lot less than my old Garmin "girl" in my Ranger. Now, If I can just get my wife to stop arguing with "Her" about which route to take...

I agree, the "Garmin Girl" just doesn't shut up at times... Sheesh!

Having the feet count down sounds like a good feature as I've been in the Boston area a few times and missed turns because the garmin was too slow to prompt me.

It's gonna be a tough choice, I can see that coming now...

What about the rear camera and showing you the screen in the mirror?

I had it in my 09 F-150. It worked great and I miss it dearly.

I recently decided that I do not need (nor will order) the electronics package. I was considering the NAV screen also but you are required to buy the electronics package to get the NAV, so my thought is that it's way too much to pay just to get the NAV. So, I will not order either, thus savings thousands of dollar$.

On a side note, that aspect also played into me deciding to not look at the FF Sport model any longer and to downgrade to the SEL V6 instead. Why? because on the Sport, the electronics pakage also includes a power passenger seat, heated outside mirrors and heated seats, all things I'd definitely like to have but again don't want to pay for the electronics pakage to get them. On the SEL however, those necessary options are standard and not tied to the electronics package.

I will order the "reverse sensing system" for roughly $300 and I do plan to buy the new Garmin 1690 GPS that does everything the Ford NAV screen does (and more!) for roughly $500 or less and I will be more then happy. I've had a drivers license for over 35 years now and I have lived without BLIS or "cross traffic alert" thank you very much, so I dont think i need it now. I am looking forward to that new model Garmin though to replace my older Garmin 660.

Check the NEW interactive Garmin 1690 out here:

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?s...ic=2424&hl=