Sign in to follow this  
sobayimage

FFH is 90% of an electirc car

I just got my FFH on a special order, it took six weeks for delivery. Correct me if I am wrong but I think I have 90% of an electric car . The FFH has an electric cooling pump, an electric air conditioner, an electric radiator fan, an electric dash consul, electrically driven steering and an electric driving motor. Remove the ICE, enlarge the battery capacity, plus a charging plug and add electric brakes I would have it.

Am I reading this right, the water pump (electric cooling pump) can run even when the ICE is off !?

Whoa! The FFH has a belt driven water pump, not an electric one like the Prius.

Too bad that it's not, it is pretty good idea to eliminate all belts from the engine.

how is the m/e (motor / electronics) coolant cooled, does it have a radiator (read somewhere it uses the heater core, is that right) does it have its own pump ?

Reply to sobayimage:

Yes, that's true, but you'd probably have to wait a few hours before driving it. I understand that the $90,000 Tesla (recently driven and tested on the English TV program, "Top Gear" -- which is the number 1 show in the UK) takes 8-16 HOURS to recharge, depending on the outlet's capabilities. Also, if you are driving GM's new Volt, it's 3.5 hours on a 220 volt outlet, and 7 hours on a 110 volt outlet. And... get this -- on Nissan's Leaf, it's going to take 8 hours on a 110 volt line, and 4 hours on a 220 volt line. Can't get to the office in the morning if you're late and you forgot to plug that baby in the night before. :hysterical2:

The electric motors and voltage converter have a complete and separate cooling system to themselves. I'm pretty sure that system is on an electric pump. I heard somewhere why they decided to do the ICE on a belt driven pump but I don't remember what it was. It seems they did *everything* else as electric so I would guess there was a good reason.

Jon

how is the m/e (motor / electronics) coolant cooled, does it have a radiator (read somewhere it uses the heater core, is that right) does it have its own pump ?

Well the Volt has a small gas powered generator that is used only for charging the battery, so if you forget to plug it in it will still operate. (unless you run out of gas) This is why its called an extended range electric vehicle

The extended range capabilities of the Volt makes sense. However, I think that's also a big part of what is making the Volt so expensive (estimated at $40k).

I can't see buying an electric car that doesn't have some kind of range-extending capability. Just imagine taking a road trip and, every couple hundred miles, you have to find a power outlet (if you're lucky!) and then sit and wait 4 or 8 hours to recharge the vehicle. The purely electric vehicles will only be viable as short-range commuter cars.

Chevy is on the right track with the Volt, but it will take time bring costs down. In the meantime, the Fusion Hybrid and other full hybrids make more financial sense, plus there's no worry about retrofitting a power outlet and plugging in every night to get the best mileage.