Zack

Ford quality (?) - buying new hybrid

Here is my feedback after just owning a Prius for 128,000 miles.

I used to browse and participate in the forums on priuschat and priusonline too, and there are some MPG fanatics like like there are here, to each his own, as some are more honed in on the sound system or other parts of the vehicle.

I was in the same boat a few months ago, wondering if I should get another Prius or switch to the FFH. I am very glad I chose the FFH as the MPG hit is not that bad (I am now averaging 41 where I got 51 in the Prius), the sound system is FAR better in the FFH (although I am no audio aficionado as others that you will read posts from, more power to them I just like the sound much better), and the ride is also FAR better in the FFH (don't just compare rides in the front seat, compare rides in the back seat and feel for yourself).

Also, I really was not concerned with the reliability of Ford with a hybrid system, my wife has had an Escape hybrid for almost 4 years now and the only thing that has ever gone wrong was some venting fan for the hybrid battery that was fixed in an hour. The only recall I can remember was a wiring harness that had to be replaced, another job was done in under an hour while I waited.

My Prius was recalled for a steering shaft knuckle replacement, a job that took 3 hours but also nothing huge. I was also driving down the road at 33,000 miles and all of my warning lights went off, I got to the dealer and found that an electric water pump died which I thought was odd at 33,000 miles. Then at 75,000 miles I went to get my engine belt replaced and they found a leaking axle seal, which I guess is a minor thing that can happen to any car. So to that end, and looking at any reliability data, these brands are equal and both quality vehicles. Many people still have the "Japanese is better" paradigm, which I don't think is true based on data that I've seen and certainly not true based on my own experience. But everyone I guess will have an opinion whether it's based on real data or anecdotal evidence, that's something that will never change when it comes to one brand or another as there are a couple brands that I would absolutely never own (because I've driven them as new rental cars for a few thousand miles and have some experience with them and would not pay $1,000 for any of them), but that's just me.

So again, with Ford having plenty of data and lessons learned from making thousands of FEHs, I believe they've put into the design and production of the FFH and I have no worries there.

Good luck!

Bumping this one back up -- today is the 1-year anniversary for my FFH: 38,400 miles, zero issues.

jeff_h thanks for post. We have our FFH for 7 months now and still love it. It was right decision. In the meantime a lot of things happened, like Toyota sticky pedals, recalls, even Lexus recalls, JD Powers best quality for FFH and more...

On bad note can't regret enough for not taking NAV. It was 2000 bucks more. Paid 37.4k for car.

These are interesting points from everyone but here is my two cents worth.

Took delivery of my FHH the first week of February when th weather in upsattae South Carolina was still cold, lows in the 20's and high's in low 40's. Just turned over 5800 miles and the long term MPG says I am averaging 40.9 miles per gallon. Most of my driving so far is back and forth the work, about 35 mile round trip with a 50/50 mixtiure of interstate and city driving and I have not really found anything to complain about. On days when we go out to each, all my co-workers want me to drive becasue they say they love riding in the car becasue of the drive and sound system. My booss loves the navagtion screen and the ease of reading the map.

Took a trip to West Virgian about 6 weeks ago with three adults and a fuly loaded car and averaged 40.5 MPG round trip. The FFH drove and rode so well that I was still felt like I could drive another 100 miles after going the 430 miles. The car rode so well that even my wife, who was very against me purchasing the car, did not complain and even bragged about the car when wearrived in WV.

Yesterday my mother and I took a trip from upsate South carolina up into the moutains to the Blue Ridge Parkway, along the parkway for 60 miles and back to South Carolina and avergaed 45.8 MPG.happy%20feet.gif

The only recall item I have recieved from Ford is to bring the car in so they can check the blbots in the driver seat to make sure the correct ones are installed. I guess you can say Ford has come a long way with their quality and if they continue they will be the one that the other car companies will be mesuring against and trying to beat.

I also spent a lot of time on priuschat last year when I was getting ready to buy a new car. I was all excited about the 2010 "3rd Gen" Prius - until I actually test drove one. The interior felt cheap, the ride was rough, turning lousy, and the instrument display was very small and blah. That's when I decided to check out the Fusion. The Fusion blew the Prius out of the water in most categories (including price, back when the tax credit was in effect).

In sum, the Prius gets better gas milage, has a hatchback for more rear storage, and has push-button start and keyless entry. Those were about the only discernable advantages. The Fusion won in just about every other category. I have some detailed posts, including comaprison charts, over on the priuschat website under the same username "mirak". Some of the Prius-philes were not too pleased with my opinion that the Fusion was the better hybrid. As it truns out, most of the professional reviewers, including Motortrend, have sided with me.

I have now owned my Fusion about 11 months and driven about 13,000 miles. Overall quality has been superb. My lifetime average mpg is currently 39.8, and I actually get 50+ on most days during warm weather.

I only have two complaints:

(1) Sync just isn't quite "there" yet. Still some kinks to work out in the interface. Shouldn't have to say a "phone" prompt before the "call" prompt. I should be able to just say "call"!

(2) There's a squeeky fan bearing somewhere in the HVAC. On cold days when the heat is on, but only at low speeds, you can hear a very slight "chirping" from the fan which sounds exactly like a cricket! Haven't had time to replicate it for a mechanic yet, but I know it's a fan bearing - easily fixed.

That was due to the fact that navigation and sync were separate units so you had to say Phone to let the nav unit know to pass control to Sync.

That should no longer be the case once Fusion gets MyFordTouch which is all integrated.

Well, I guess that's good for purchasers of the 2011 FFH, but it doesn't really help me unless MyFordTouch is just a software upgrade. Looks like a whole new interface to me. Or am I wrong?

I've never really understood the "seperate units" explanation. Why can't Sync simply be the top layer? Seems like a real design flaw, but also a flaw that should be able to be fixed with a software upgrade. What, exactly, is the impediment?

It's not that big of a deal, but that's also what makes it so annoying: this shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix!